University of Saskatchewan graduate and practicing lawyer. AMA

DennisNextDoor

Oinkies
  • Undergrad

Would you be able to comment on salaries? I am from sask and have a hard time figuring out how lawyers get paid here in sask but can easily find answers for other provinces. 

DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Oinkies said:

Would you be able to comment on salaries? I am from sask and have a hard time figuring out how lawyers get paid here in sask but can easily find answers for other provinces. 

I guess it would depend on what type of law you are practicing and what kind of firm you are working at. I think apart from BigLaw in larger centres, Sask salaries are relatively comparable.

I would figure that the average articling student makes between $35,000 and $70,000, again, depending on what type of firm you are at. Following your articles you see your salary jump rather substantially in many cases. Most of my peers (2020 graduating class), are making between $75,000-$125,000 (again with some outliners). I know I personally have 3x my original articling salary in the year and a half I have been called to the bar. 

Long term, if you make partner at some of the larger firms in the province, you are making very good money. I have a close family friend who is a partner at a "Big Law" firm (at least, big law in terms of Saskatchewan) and makes above $300,000 a year. 

Not sure if this helps, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot them out. 

• 9 months later...
DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer
On 12/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, DennisNextDoor said:

As the title states, I am a U of S graduate from the class of 2020 and am currently a practicing lawyer! Feel free to ask general questions, questions regarding law school, or questions regarding the practice of law here in Saskatchewan. 🙂

Just bumping this in case anyone from the upcoming year has any questions prior to starting. 

ralphberger
  • Applicant

Probably a dumb question but are you auto-registered in classes for 1L? 

DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, ralphberger said:

Probably a dumb question but are you auto-registered in classes for 1L? 

Yep. You don't have any control over your schedule for first year. You are auto registered for your full slate. I think the classes are;

1. An Indigenous Law class (this was added after I was in 1L so I didn't have to take this one)
  2. Legal Research and Writing
  3. Contracts
  4. Constitutional Law/Charter
  5. Criminal Law
  6. Tort Law 
  7. Property Law

Most of these classes span the course of the full year! I think that 1 and 2 on this list don't, but things may have changed since I was in 1L!