Chance Me!

Ital

Ital
  • Law School Admit

Hello all,

Looking for some insight on my chances at UofC!

L2 GPA: 3.44

LSAT: 160 (only take)

Degree in Engineering, will have P.Eng designation by 2022 school start

Been working as an Engineer in industry for 3.5 years 

I claimed that cancer adversely impacted my grades in my 3rd and 4th year of university in the Special Facts Related to Diversity, Equity and Lived Experience statement.

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Sorry friend. There may be a chance that you may get in, but you are more likely to get rejected than accepted.

Is your L2 GPA based on the U of C GPA scale? For your Winter 2020 semester, the school does not count any grades of D or lower/No credit grades

Ital
  • Law School Admit

I appreciate the feedback!

I've been out of school for almost 4 years now. My L2 GPA is based off the UofC GPA scale.

We'll see how it goes! I'll rewrite the LSAT for next year if this year doesn't go well.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

This one is tough. On the one hand, your stats are low - the average 2021 stats are 3.67 / 163, so you're a fair bit below both. On the other hand, I was told (I'm also a former P. Eng.) that UCalgary likes engineers, and they're holistic so that may actually come into play.

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. What were your grades like in 1st and 2nd year? The Adcomm might look at that as an indication of your 'true' academic potential, which for an engineer is a bit unfortunate because first/second year engineering grades are often a fair bit worse than 3rd/4th.

• Like 1

Ital
  • Law School Admit
42 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

This one is tough. On the one hand, your stats are low - the average 2021 stats are 3.67 / 163, so you're a fair bit below both. On the other hand, I was told (I'm also a former P. Eng.) that UCalgary likes engineers, and they're holistic so that may actually come into play.

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. What were your grades like in 1st and 2nd year? The Adcomm might look at that as an indication of your 'true' academic potential, which for an engineer is a bit unfortunate because first/second year engineering grades are often a fair bit worse than 3rd/4th.

I've heard that about UofC as well.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm happy to say I beat it completely! Unfortunately my grades in Year 1/2 are quite a bit lower than Year 3/4. My GPA substantially improved each subsequent semester. My claim that cancer impacted my L2 GPA revolved around it hindering my mental state, especially during exam season, because of my frequent cancer appointments.

DanaeOkay
  • Law Student

As a current U of C student, I actually think you have a decent chance! Obviously a higher LSAT would be ideal, but I think that if you have a really cohesive narrative in your personal statement, you could certainly get in. As another person noted, UCalgary likes people in STEM, and they will assess your application holistically. It's really hard to predict UCalgary admissions, but I wish you the best of luck!

Ital
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, DanaeOkay said:

As a current U of C student, I actually think you have a decent chance! Obviously a higher LSAT would be ideal, but I think that if you have a really cohesive narrative in your personal statement, you could certainly get in. As another person noted, UCalgary likes people in STEM, and they will assess your application holistically. It's really hard to predict UCalgary admissions, but I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for the insight! Crossing my fingers 🙂