CBA Membership

Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz
  • Lawyer

I bought a CBA/OBA membership many years ago. I recall using it for some CPD programs and job resources, and it has just re-upped every year on its own. 

I haven't really gotten any direct benefit out of it lately, so I'm considering cancelling my membership. I was wondering if anyone could provide some compelling reasons to be or remain a CBA member, or tips on making the most of it for the remainder of my subscription? 

On 12/14/2021 at 4:13 PM, Lionel Hutz said:

I bought a CBA/OBA membership many years ago. I recall using it for some CPD programs and job resources, and it has just re-upped every year on its own. 

I haven't really gotten any direct benefit out of it lately, so I'm considering cancelling my membership. I was wondering if anyone could provide some compelling reasons to be or remain a CBA member, or tips on making the most of it for the remainder of my subscription? 

Other than the discounts on CPD I personally see very little value from it. There’s the alleged networking opportunities but frankly since COVID and work-from-home those options have not been compelling at all. Virtual events suck. And I have no idea how much I’d actually benefit in the (hopefully) eventual situation that in-person events resume being the norm. 

I’ve let my subscription lapse and have no plans on renewing it in the short term. I can see how a more senior call may benefit eventually, especially if you start being involved in the committees and stuff, but as a 2.5-year call I’m not seeing the benefit. 

• Like 1

Mountebank
  • Lawyer

I've never had a membership, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing. But I've always had the impression that I'm not missing anything given the price.

Lionel Hutz
  • Lawyer
On 12/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, Ryn said:

Other than the discounts on CPD I personally see very little value from it. There’s the alleged networking opportunities but frankly since COVID and work-from-home those options have not been compelling at all. Virtual events suck. And I have no idea how much I’d actually benefit in the (hopefully) eventual situation that in-person events resume being the norm. 

I’ve let my subscription lapse and have no plans on renewing it in the short term. I can see how a more senior call may benefit eventually, especially if you start being involved in the committees and stuff, but as a 2.5-year call I’m not seeing the benefit. 

Yeah exactly, I'm more mid-career but really struggling to see a positive here given the hole it makes in my wallet. They also used to have a lot more coupons/discount deals with various corporations, which I could theoretically have made use of, but there only seem to be a few now. I guess if I want an Audi I can get a slight discount? 

I suspect a lot of CBA/OBA members get membership automatically/for free as a perk from their firm, but it doesn't seem to be doing me much good, so I'll probably cancel my membership before the next renewal. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone actually get good value from their CBA/OBA membership or have advice on how to do so? 

• 1 month later...
t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I found the Young Lawyers section helpful for advice and commiseration in my first few years of practice, and the practice area sections have been helpful for keeping up to date (particularly after moving in-house to a smaller law office with a narrower scope of practice than a large firm). Some of the non-section CPD events have been useful as well. But I'm pretty sure non-members can access all of the CBA's CPD events, just at a higher price. 

I don't think I use enough CBA CPD for the membership cost to be worth it on a strictly financial basis versus just paying the non-member price for CPD events, but I don't mind paying a little extra to support the CBA's advocacy on legislation and policy.