Crown Attorney Interview Advice

JohnyDrama

JohnyDrama
  • Lawyer

Off course when I finally need advice for a Crown Attorney interview the old site with its numerous helpful posts on the topic is gone and I stupidly chose not to save any of the threads. 

Could anyone who has gone through the interview process for a Crown Attorney position give me some insight on the process (I.e. common substantive questions, etc). Thank you friendos.

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
On 6/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, JohnyDrama said:

Off course when I finally need advice for a Crown Attorney interview the old site with its numerous helpful posts on the topic is gone and I stupidly chose not to save any of the threads. 

Could anyone who has gone through the interview process for a Crown Attorney position give me some insight on the process (I.e. common substantive questions, etc). Thank you friendos.

It's all about the calves, baby. 

Sorry, don't have anything insightful to provide, but your picture made me laugh and I had to comment. 

• Like 2

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer
On 6/18/2021 at 11:10 AM, Pecan Boy said:

Don't have any insight but this was posted on one of the old LS threads. A bit outdated but seems helpful. https://studylib.net/doc/9521997/sample-government-interview-questions?fbclid=IwAR3-TH7TndXF6S1-C8XhhqukgwpTjWeGaDNwWihbJ2tQQMb-KJn7kuGpy0Y

There are definitely some helpful questions on here. I also recall a lot of ethical questions being asked in my various Crown interviews and questions involving exercising discretion. @JohnyDrama I did some interviews as a lawyer as well, and I found them more geared toward evidentiary and procedural issues, more so than the usual role of the Crown and other questions students typically get. If you're in Ontario, I would spend a good amount of time reviewing the Crown policy manual.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
rightsoherewego

Chiming in to revive this thread because I could also use some advice on the same topic.

I've received a lot of advice to focus on specific types of offences that are most commonly asked about in Crown interviews (e.g. impaired driving, sexual assaults, impaired violence). Does anyone know how to study for these offences though? I've just been trying to learn the actus reus and mens rea for each, but is there something else I'm missing?

Similarly, does anyone have advice on how to prepare for sentencing questions? I'm also trying to review sentencing principles (and the Crown policy manual) but to be honest it seems like I just don't have enough information/guidance to really do well on the interviews without having already worked as a Crown...

Sentencing is about balancing denunciation and deterrence with rehabilitation. So there's society's interest in penalizing criminal conduct severely enough that the offender and others don't engage in it. But society's long term interests are best served if an offender is supported such that they no longer turn to crime. A classic example of this would be a man who hits his another person in a drunken rage.

Absolutely you need to denounce this behaviour and jail is often part of that. But the system also cares if the man has attended counselling for both anger management and alcohol abuse: the hope being that he never puts himself in a position where he resorts to violence again. A smart defence lawyer will have their client complete those programs ASAP- well before any trial or guilty plea. But an attentive Crown will follow up to make sure that after whatever punitive aspect of a sentence those things are considered in a probation order.

Protection of the public isn't just about punishment. It's also about trying - using the limited tools availablke - to fix the original problem.

• Like 6