Ask me questions!

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student

Hi everyone, 

Incoming 2L at the Lincoln Alexander School of Law at Ryerson University (Ryerson Law) here! If you guys have any questions about Ryerson Law, please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them! 

Looking forward to it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefJustice said:

Hi everyone, 

Incoming 2L at the Lincoln Alexander School of Law at Ryerson University (Ryerson Law) here! If you guys have any questions about Ryerson Law, please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them! 

Looking forward to it!

Lincoln Alexander School of Law effective May 21, 2021.  An Osgoode Hall Law School  alumni. 

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Hi Chief Justice!

Thank you for doing this.

I start 1L at RL in the fall.

Are there any courses with group work and if so are the group members randomly assigned?

Also, is there a lot of cold calling during lectures?

And finally, have they confirmed if the 2021/2022 academic year will be online or hybrid?

Thank you

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Lawyered said:

Hi Chief Justice!

Thank you for doing this.

I start 1L at RL in the fall.

Are there any courses with group work and if so are the group members randomly assigned?

Also, is there a lot of cold calling during lectures?

And finally, have they confirmed if the 2021/2022 academic year will be online or hybrid?

Thank you

Hey, thanks for the questions and congrats on accepting your offer to RL! 

In the intensives that we have had so far, there is a significant amount of group work which is graded (yes, the groups are randomly assigned). For instance, in the fall 2020 intensive, we were placed in groups wherein we created a report and a presentation. In the winter 2020 intensive, we were placed in groups to come up with a solution to the access to justice crisis (which was worth the majority of our grade). However, in the regular classes, there is only some group activity (in the form of breakout rooms), but it's usually not graded. 

The instructors in my section did not seem to cold call that much but I have heard from some other sections that it's more commonly used - it all matters on the teaching style of your instructor. 

Please refer to the following link for an answer to your third question: https://www.ryerson.ca/law/students/FAQs/

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Chief Justice,

So school is online! 

I wont relocate then. I think ( hope) even if things get better they will always offer an online option even in Jan.

I have a question about the format of the intensives. It is REALLY 6 hours of classes per day for that week?  Is it mostly graded by an assignment, presentation or group work? It seems a bit of a rough way to plunge in?

Thank you

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
On 6/15/2021 at 8:12 AM, Lawyered said:

Chief Justice,

So school is online! 

I wont relocate then. I think ( hope) even if things get better they will always offer an online option even in Jan.

I have a question about the format of the intensives. It is REALLY 6 hours of classes per day for that week?  Is it mostly graded by an assignment, presentation or group work? It seems a bit of a rough way to plunge in?

Thank you

I'm not sure if it will change to at-least some in person classes closer to the start date but you know what's best for you. 

Yes, the intensives usually start at 9AM and finish at around 5PM. We have breaks after every 1.5-2 hours but still somewhat long hours of back to back class. 

There are usually a variety of assignments that make up your grade. 

In regards to your comment, the intensive teach you valuable skills that are not found at other law schools. Hopefully you enjoy them once you start 1L!

Please do let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. 

• Thanks 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 6/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, ChiefJustice said:

In the winter 2020 intensive, we were placed in groups to come up with a solution to the access to justice crisis (which was worth the majority of our grade).

This sounds horrendous to me - what were you and your class mates thoughts on that assignment? Did you find it to be useful to your learning?

• Like 1

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

This sounds horrendous to me - what were you and your class mates thoughts on that assignment? Did you find it to be useful to your learning?

Very much so! It gave a very practical outlook on the current legal situation in Canada and how lawyers (especially those trained from from Lincoln Alexander) can play a significant role in alleviating it. 

It was also a very tech-heavy assignment so it also showed us how technology can be a very useful tool in all aspects of the law. 

• Like 4

Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
  • Law Student

Hi ChiefJustice! 

Some questions about Lincoln Alexander - does Ryerson have a specific building for the law school? How are the scholarships? Positive experiences in first year for you?

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
On 6/22/2021 at 9:46 AM, Dee said:

Hi ChiefJustice! 

Some questions about Lincoln Alexander - does Ryerson have a specific building for the law school? How are the scholarships? Positive experiences in first year for you?

Great questions! 

1. The law school does have a Pod complete with its own law library. 

2. Lots of scholarships! Please refer to this link: https://www.ryerson.ca/law/admissions/scholarships-awards/

3. 1L regardless of where you go has a lot of challenges. But that's not to say that there aren't countless positive experiences to have. For one, I was able to get the highest grades in my entire academic journey in my 1L. Second, lots of new friends who are incredibly kind and helpful. Third, I was able to take leadership positions in clubs/associations. The list goes on and on!

Hope this helps!

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Hi CJ

Is it suggested to read up on Python before the intensive? Or it there anyway to prepare?

Also I read that a few courses had a huge essay component.....which courses were those?

Thanks

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Lawyered said:

Hi CJ

Is it suggested to read up on Python before the intensive? Or it there anyway to prepare?

Also I read that a few courses had a huge essay component.....which courses were those?

Thanks

Haven't taken the coding intensive yet but from what I heard it's meant for people with 0 coding experience so don't worry about preparing for it! Also, the goal of the intensive is not for you to become a master coder within a week, rather for you to understand the legal implications of tech. 

Every instructor is different but for me it was JUR 105 Foundations of Legal Theory and JUR109 Indigenous Law. However, there will be significant (legal) writing assignments in your other classes even if they are not essays. 

• Thanks 1

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Hi CJ

I hope you dont mind my questions.

Thank you so much for answering.

I understand that each cohort has sections? How many ppl are in each section and are you with the same group for the entire academic year or just a semester?

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
On 7/1/2021 at 10:26 PM, Lawyered said:

Hi CJ

I hope you dont mind my questions.

Thank you so much for answering.

I understand that each cohort has sections? How many ppl are in each section and are you with the same group for the entire academic year or just a semester?

It's no problem at all, I love answering them! We had 6 sections so about 25-30 students a section. You stay within your section throughout the entire academic year except the intensives!

• Like 1

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Hey CJ!

Well that is kinda good? You  get to establish relationships with a small group of individuals. I thrive better in more intimate settings.

But does that mean there is little opportunity to interact with the rest of your cohort?

Also I have a question about L2  - have you been allowed to select  your schedule yet and are there a lot of (time) options? For example, can one select to attend  the 5 courses in two or three days?

( I am considering working for 2 days  a week in L2 and wanted to know if the schedule could allow havung 2 days off to do that)

Thank you

ChiefJustice
  • Law Student
On 7/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, Lawyered said:

Hey CJ!

Well that is kinda good? You  get to establish relationships with a small group of individuals. I thrive better in more intimate settings.

But does that mean there is little opportunity to interact with the rest of your cohort?

Also I have a question about L2  - have you been allowed to select  your schedule yet and are there a lot of (time) options? For example, can one select to attend  the 5 courses in two or three days?

( I am considering working for 2 days  a week in L2 and wanted to know if the schedule could allow havung 2 days off to do that)

Thank you

Yes, you're right! You get to interact closely and regularly with some amazing people in a relatively small group. But, that's not to say that you won't be able to work with other members of your cohort. As mentioned above, the intensives are not divided based on your sections. There are also a variety of extra-curricular opportunities and events for you to meet other students. 

We selected our courses for 2L a couple months ago and admittedly I did not find for there to be a lot of time options so I would bet in any case that you would be in class for 5 days a week. In terms of working during 2L, I would wait until you start 1L so you get a feel as to how law school actually is. But, in the worst case scenario where you can't seem to balance school and work, there's always the summer months to make some money where school won't be a hinderance for that end. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
BoiledPotatoes

Hi Chief Justice,

I'm starting my first year at Ryerson University  with the intent to major in Law and Business. I want to study at the Lincoln Alexander School of Law once I complete my undergrad. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask some questions.

1) How does the quality of education at Lincoln Law stack up against other law schools in Canada, from what you know?

2) How does the education at Lincoln Law differ from that of most traditional law schools?

3) Are the skills and content you are taught useful in the real world?

4) From what I've heard, most law schools teach you to think like a lawyer but they don't teach you the actual skills to be one, which is why articling is necessary. Is there any truth to this?

5) How good is the Law Practice Program in preparing people to be lawyers? Do they turn out as good as those who take the articling path?

6) How do you like your education at Lincoln Law? Could you cite some specific things that really made your experience a good one?

7) I've heard that some of the classes involve coding. Could you tell me why that's necessary to be a good lawyer and how its useful in the real world?

I apologize. I understand this is a lot of questions but I have been searching for people who go to Lincoln Law so I could get a better idea of what I should be ready for. I would really appreciate any answers at all. Thank you in advance.

Edited by BoiledPotatoes

IllegalBeagle
  • Law Student

Hi BoiledPotatoes,

I'm no CheifJustice, but I am also a 2L at LALS.

1. There are no "Bad" law schools in Canada like there are in the USA. Lincoln Law provides the same level of academic rigour that you'd find at any other law school in addition to the IPC.
  2. Lincoln Law offers practical experience that you won't get at any other law school in Canada, save Bora Laskin. At Lincoln we draft simulated factums, affidavits, statements of claim, client letters, closing arguments, etc. in addition to the academic curriculum. Those assignments simulate the kind of work you'd actually do day to day as a lawyer. Typically, you'd learn how to do these sorts of tasks during articles. 
  3. See above
  4. See above
  5. That's a bit of a loaded question and not one that can be concretely answered with respect to Lincoln Law. We've not had a graduating class yet, and so there's no real world points of comparison. However, Bora Laskin has been using a similar system for a while now and so far as I've heard there's not been an issue of quality. Our curriculum is overseen by the Law Society, and they have determined that our curriculum will produce students who are considered competent at graduation. 
  6. Personally, I like the practical focus of our curriculum and the attention that's paid to the real world implications of the law.
  7. The "coding intensive" is really more about understanding how computers work. You're learning the basics of python, not advanced computer science. The fact is that students won't all have the same level of technical proficiency, so its important to ensure that everyone has at least a basic level of tech literacy at some point. This year, the intensive was a precursor to a full course that focuses on how data and technology have changed legal practice. As the world changes, lawyers are expected to put a variety of hats. It's important to understand how programs and data actually work so you can advise your clients. This is especially true for students that take full advantage of the IPC, choose to jump directly into solo practice, or choose not to use their JDs to become lawyers.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

BoiledPotatoes

@Cookies1598

Thank you very much, this helps immensely! It's hard to find places to reach a student at LALS since it's a relatively new law school and there aren't that many forums for LALS as other schools. I reached out to a few people on LinkedIn but I didn't get any responses yet. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, esepcially with such depth. I know there were a lot of them. Again, thank you so much. 🙂

Not at all an important question, I'm just curious now after seeing both of you use the term - is it being called "Lincoln Law"? Is that what students/applicants/others are calling it?

BoiledPotatoes

@Yogurt Baron

No, it's officially called the Lincoln Alexander School of Law. I just called it Lincoln Law because it was easier than calling it by its full name or LALS (Lincoln Alexander Law School) cause that's a bit of a mouthful for me.

5 minutes ago, BoiledPotatoes said:

@Yogurt Baron

No, it's officially called the Lincoln Alexander School of Law. I just called it Lincoln Law because it was easier than calling it by its full name or LALS (Lincoln Alexander Law School) cause that's a bit of a mouthful for me.

That's cool - didn't mean to police what you call it. I was just wondering if that's what everyone was calling it.

IllegalBeagle
  • Law Student

Lincoln Law is the official unofficial short name. That's what you'll hear our students, faculty and staff say when Lincoln Alexander School of Law is too many dang words.