Conditional Offer?

Arrowtotheny

Arrowtotheny
  • Law School Admit

Hello everyone!

Just received my offer a while ago and very glad. But I just have one question regarding the condition of my offer. 

In the official letter, it merely says my offer is conditional on the successful completion of 45 UVic equivalent units, which I have already finished. But at the end, it also requires me to send in an "official transcript (convocation)." Does this mean I have to graduate before August? 

My health has been absolutely in the pit lately. As a result, I have been considering taking less courses next semester and get my health issues sorted before I start law school. I am only a few electives away from my degree, so I figured I can always come back and do a chill summer term to get my undergraduate degree in the future. In short, it would be a bless if I can start law school without officially finishing my undergrad degree. 

I will likely contact the school to confirm once they are back from the holidays. But for now, I would really appreciate if anyone can chime in on whether my plan is viable at all. I would also be really grateful if any current/graduated students can share their experience with the disability accommodation/ health resources of UVic Laws. 

Edited by Arrowtotheny

scooter
  • Law Student

Congrats on your acceptance!

You should definitely speak with UVic admissions once they open back up in the new year. They would have assumed you are graduating in Spring 2022 when assessing your application. My guess is that you will need to complete your degree, but this is speculation on my part — don't take my word for it.

Depending on the severity if your health issues and your own priorities, you could also think about deferring your acceptance for a year. Medical/compassionate reasons are certainly one of the reasons that people choose to defer.

How many courses do you need to finish your degree? Can you somehow do a reduced course load and still graduate next spring? I honestly don't know how feasible it would be to finish your degree while in law school. It would almost certainly have to be in 1L summer, and even then I'm not sure about your plan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Arrowtotheny
  • Law School Admit
On 12/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, scooter said:

Congrats on your acceptance!

You should definitely speak with UVic admissions once they open back up in the new year. They would have assumed you are graduating in Spring 2022 when assessing your application. My guess is that you will need to complete your degree, but this is speculation on my part — don't take my word for it.

Depending on the severity if your health issues and your own priorities, you could also think about deferring your acceptance for a year. Medical/compassionate reasons are certainly one of the reasons that people choose to defer.

How many courses do you need to finish your degree? Can you somehow do a reduced course load and still graduate next spring? I honestly don't know how feasible it would be to finish your degree while in law school. It would almost certainly have to be in 1L summer, and even then I'm not sure about your plan.

Thank you so much for the reply! Just want to provide a quick update. After contacting admissions, it seems that graduation is actually not a necessary requirement. 

However, you are right that it is strongly encouraged. And I likely will try to graduate on time anyway so I can work in 1L summer. 

Edited by Arrowtotheny

azure
  • Lawyer

I didn't have personal experience with accessing health/accommodation services but know some people who did. Here is what is available:

https://www.uvic.ca/law/jd/studentwellnessandequity/index.php

There is also the amicus program, which is there to help law students with academic, cultural, personal and accommodation support. 

https://www.uvic.ca/law/jd/amicusprogram/index.php

I can say that the people who run the amicus program are all very compassionate individuals and I would feel comfortable going to them with any issues I have. I would say reach out sooner rather than later if you are having issues. 

• Like 1

AMG
  • Law Student

I'm in a similar situation as I'll be taking a summer course so won't have my graduation until the fall. I contacted the schools I applied to and they pretty much all said so long as I meet the requirements and am not taking courses from another university come September, I'll be all good. I am in Ontario but I assume UVic would be similar.