Does your UBC transcript as a JD student include all your undergrad courses as well?

FireOrICE
  • Applicant

I'm wondering because I recently got my admission but I am a non-UBC student who dropped out of UBC back in 2015 after failing a bunch of classes. 

I'm like 99% sure UBC transcripts include all your courses so that means my transcript that I'll be using to job hunt during law school will have a bunch of Fs from my courses back in 2015. 😢

Can anyone confirm if this is true? And if so, is this a valid reason to avoid UBC in my case? 

Edited by FireOrICE
wording

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I have a friend who was in a very similar position and he was very annoyed by this exact issue. Yes, his UBC transcript included both his JD grades and terrible undergrad grades. Sorry.

The good news is that your JD grades are what matters and this guy still got hired at a sister. Also, some positions ask for your undergrad transcript anyways so you'd have to provide them regardless.

FireOrICE
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I have a friend who was in a very similar position and he was very annoyed by this exact issue. Yes, his UBC transcript included both his JD grades and terrible undergrad grades. Sorry.

The good news is that your JD grades are what matters and this guy still got hired at a sister. Also, some positions ask for your undergrad transcript anyways so you'd have to provide them regardless.

oh noooo. Thanks for clearing it up regardless. 

The problem with mine is that it isn't just one or two Fs... But like 4 Fs over the course of 1.5 years lol plus a generally terrible GPA. 

I have experience working at a big 4 accounting firm for a few years so hopefully that lets the employers know I managed to turn myself around... but it's definitely gonna be a talking point during interviews that I would rather avoid. 

Edited by FireOrICE

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, FireOrICE said:

oh noooo. Thanks for clearing it up regardless. 

The problem with mine is that it isn't just one or two Fs... But like 4 Fs over the course of 1.5 years lol plus a generally terrible GPA. 

I have experience working at a big 4 accounting firm for a few years so hopefully that lets the employers know I managed to turn myself around... but it's definitely gonna be a talking point during interviews that I would rather avoid. 

I think you are overestimating the impact this will have on you. I don't blame you for that; I didn't look good on paper relative to my law peers either and it's hard not to draw these comparisons and think about these things. But keep in mind, JD grades involve you competing directly on a curve against your peers. It is given the most emphasis in legal recruiting and there is a reason for that. It is pretty much 95% of how legal employers sort talent. Undergrad grades are given such little weight by comparison that it's hard to overstate.

My friend's situation was the same as yours: dropped out of UBC with lots of fails and then got a bachelor's elsewhere with good grades. Presumably you received good grades in your second attempt at a degree and a good LSAT score if you got accepted to Allard. You're fine, mate. Contrary to your expectations I'm pretty sure this issue literally never came up once during my friends interviews. And I am 100% certain he had multiple offers from national and regional firms through the OCI recruit (with solidly above-average but not even close to dean's list grades).

• Like 2