Which law schools have the most generous scholarship?

BritishBond

BritishBond
  • Applicant

Which law schools have the most generous scholarship in Canada? Is a full ride possible in Canadian law schools?

Renerik
  • Law Student

I've looked at this extensively recently. The short answer is no. If you want a full ride, you're much better off going to the USA. The longer answer is if you have a near perfect GPA, killer LSAT, and are the top applicant for the school you apply to, some schools may offer scholarships that match or exceed tuition. Western comes to mind, their top scholarship exceeds tuition. Unless you're that top guy though, you're looking at a much smaller scholarship if anything at all. Most who are accepted receive nothing in terms of scholarships, and many scholarships in Canada are financial need based.

• Like 2

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

What's your definition of a full ride, if not scholarships exceeding tuition?

My scholarships exceeded tuition at Calgary, and I didn't have the top scholarship of $20k/yr (at the time, 1L tuition was around 13k). I don't know what you can infer from that with regards to the entire pool available, but it's out there if you have the grades.

Shop around. Apply broadly and see which schools offer what. It's the only way to really tell.

Edited by Pantalaimon
  • Like 1

NoContest
  • Law Student

Not really specific to Law School, but you can apply to the McCall MacBain Scholarship. They are extremely generous, they will cover your tuition and give you a stipend of $2000 / month (only during the academic term). McGill Law is one of the eligible programs, this year 4 out of the 20 full scholarships went to incoming McGill Law Students.

You can find more info here: https://mccallmacbainscholars.org/scholarships

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Apple
  • Lawyer

Western gives out some very good scholarships. I remember when I applied they offered me a scholarship which to my recollection was valued at $40k. I know Western also gives other healthy scholarships that range in quantum. 

While not scholarships, Osgoode has a really great bursary program. I attended Osgoode and over the span of my three years there I received roughly almost enough bursaries to cover one year of tuition. Their bursaries are entirely based on financial need comparative to others. 

I went to OZ for 2L & 3L and I received $21K 

Bursary Program - Osgoode Hall Law School (yorku.ca)

Bursaries are non-repayable financial assistance

Approximately 60% of students apply to Osgoode’s bursary program annually

Approximately 90% of those who apply and are eligible receive funding

Bursary award levels:

Level 1: $1,500

Level 2: $3,000

Level 3: $5,000

Level 4: $7,500

Level 5: $11,500

Level 6: $15,000