Chances! cGPA: Undergrad 3.37 Graduate 3.5 LSAT 157

unknown24

unknown24
  • Applicant

Applied to: Queen's, Ottawa, McGill, Western, Lakehead

Mature applicant: work background as OCJ clerk and bail supervisor with John Howard

Volunteer experience: John Howard Society

References: 1 academic 1 OCJ Judge

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

AMG
  • Law Student

I think you have a decent chance at Lakehead, as your experience and reference is fairly impressive. Depends on what your focus of your PS was though. 

As for the other schools your gpa and LSAT are both below median and will hold you back, a higher LSAT would definitely improve your chances. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Electricity
  • Law Student

If you include the averages from your last two years ("L2") and best two years ("B2") of undergrad, this will give us a better idea of your chances at Queen's and Western. In Ontario (and throughout Canada generally, bar a few exceptions) your graduate school GPA doesn't matter. The degree itself can help but has no impact on your OLSAS GPA. 

You've got a sweet reference letter and what I'd assume to be very solid experience. As @AMG mentioned, that'll make a difference if you frame it properly in your personal statement. At this point though, I think I can definitively say your stats are too low for McGill. 

How much prep went into writing the 157? I would definitely rewrite. You're not far from breaking into the 160s, and that helps a lot.  

• Like 1

unknown24
  • Applicant

Thanks for the replies - cgpa is low - I had extenuating circumstances throughout undergrad and grad degree that I spoke about to in my personal statement to try and explain why (dont know if that is a good or bad thing). as much prep as i could working full time with three young kids, but I wonder if even 3 points improvement would really make a difference? I feel like with everything in conjunction the 3 points wouldnt sway any decision.... but possibly I guess.

AMG
  • Law Student

Those aspects of your personal statement that explain your gpa will definitely help, especially the fact you are working and have kids. But yes the 3 points will make a difference. Going from a 157 to a 160 will probably bring you up to a percentile rank which is about 10 points higher and will bring you much closer to median lsat scores for a lot of schools. The higher the lsat score the harder it is to improve so any improvement makes a difference.