are remote jobs becoming more common for lawyers regardless of covid?

brokenegg

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit

I know of two big firms that are permanently implementing remote opportunities for their lawyers. is this going to become more widespread? 

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Are you referring to flexibility regarding work arrangement (i.e., you can work X days a week remotely), or permanently remote positions?

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
35 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

Are you referring to flexibility regarding work arrangement (i.e., you can work X days a week remotely), or permanently remote positions?

i guess a bit of both 

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

"You guess" that you know of two big firms that are permanently implementing "a bit of both"? I'm intrigued.

I'd be much more inclined to believe firms adopting flexible work arrangements than permanently remote positions - but even there, for students/associates we're talking 3-4 days a week in the office and 1-2 remote.

• Like 1

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
11 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

"You guess" that you know of two big firms that are permanently implementing "a bit of both"? I'm intrigued.

I'd be much more inclined to believe firms adopting flexible work arrangements than permanently remote positions - but even there, for students/associates we're talking 3-4 days a week in the office and 1-2 remote.

no. “i guess” that im wondering if law firms will be implementing a bit of both—permanent remote positions and flexible remote work schedules (i.e., a couple remote days a week). 

I know two big firms in calgary (one of which where i used to work) that are offering permanent remote positions for their staff, including lawyers and legal assistants. They’re also offering flexible schedules. So im wondering if this will become a widespread practice. 

• Like 1

AHLALA
  • Lawyer

Speaking from Montreal, as a business lawyer, I cannot say that it is becoming "widespread". I have heard anecdotal stories of permanent remote positions for lawyers (which was unheard of before COVID). Most firm are also implementing flexible work schedules, ranging from 3 to 1 WFH day per week.

However, it all still seem a bit experimental/temporary, as the closest we got to a return to normal was a few weeks in November before Omicron arrived. The truth is that, once COVID gets under control, if everybody goes back to work at the office (i.e.: clients, accountants, bankers, ...), there will be more in person meetings and, thus, higher expectations to work from the office - and vice-versa. 

A few other observations. First, I would think that permanently remote position are not on the partnership track. There are too many expectations for partners in terms of bus dev, mentoring, training, events, ... to make it realistic to become a partner while being permanently remote. Maybe this will change if WFH remains common in the future. This could also be possible if one has leverage (e.g. strong client relationship). 

Second, I would think that permanent remote positions and flexible work arrangement would be preceded by a requirement that you work from the office for a certain time, so you can meet people and develop relationships. I had work at my firm for about two years before COVID started and I believe my experience of remote work was significantly better than those who started just before COVID or during COVID. Maybe we could improve our virtual integration practices (and maybe in-firm integration will remain less valuable if people continue to WFH), but it is not as easy to develop relationship virtually than it was in the office. 

• Thanks 1