Queens vs Osgoode

jakebrigance99

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
4 minutes ago, Vizslaw said:

I know he retired in 2018 but thought he was still doing some teaching there?

I just finished 1L so can't speak to previous years, but he didn't teach last year. At least no first year classes. 

Edit to add: Queen's law has some outstanding professors regardless, I was genuinely surprised by the difference between my intellectual respect for the Queen's law prof's compared to what I had experienced in undergrad. Beverly Baines, Nicholas Bala, Bruce Pardy to name a few. I was absolutely blown away. 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 2

Dussy
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

I just finished 1L so can't speak to previous years, but he didn't teach last year. At least no first year classes. 

Edit to add: Queen's law has some outstanding professors regardless, I was genuinely surprised by the difference between my intellectual respect for the Queen's law prof's compared to what I had experienced in undergrad. Beverly Baines, Nicholas Bala, Bruce Pardy to name a few. I was absolutely blown away. 

Agreed with this. I was similarly blown away with my professors in 1L at Queens. I was generally shocked by how smart these people were and by how much they challenged me.

• Like 1

QMT20
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I believe he taught crim pro last year. He hasn't taught 1L crim courses since 2017-2018. There was an announcement about his retirement at the end of this year but since he was already technically "retired", I'm not sure if this means he won't be teaching crim pro next year either. 

In any case, the current cohort of crim law professors are basically Don Stuart proteges. I think Darryl Robinson has been around for a while but otherwise, Lisa Kerr, Lisa Kelly, Benjamin Ewing, and Noah Weisbord were all hired with Stuart's approval and worked closely with him the last couple of years. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
yellow16
  • Applicant

Hey Everyone!

I was recently admitted to both Queens and Osgoode. I am interested in practicing Family Law as I have enjoyed my legal internships and mediation experiences in this field. Can anyone speak on their experiences with the different clinical opportunities and courses that either school offers for family law.

Thankyou for reading!

• 1 month later...
Kurapika
  • Applicant

Hi Everyone! I have provincially accepted an offer from Queens but recently got put on the waitlist at Osgoode. It seems like Osgoode is held in a higher regard in terms of "prestige" but what are the actual differences in terms of employment and opportunities for a Queens grad vs Osgoode grad. Just for some context I don't know what field of law I want to practice but currently interested in Criminal law, labour/employment, or various public law focused fields and I don't think I can see myself pursuing biglaw. I know there is a very good chance I might not even get off the waitlist at Osgoode so I'm just trying to figure out how long I should wait before I just decide on Queens and start looking at housing and living situation in Kingston. Thanks!

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, LawApp22 said:

Hi Everyone! I have provincially accepted an offer from Queens but recently got put on the waitlist at Osgoode. It seems like Osgoode is held in a higher regard in terms of "prestige" but what are the actual differences in terms of employment and opportunities for a Queens grad vs Osgoode grad. Just for some context I don't know what field of law I want to practice but currently interested in Criminal law, labour/employment, or various public law focused fields and I don't think I can see myself pursuing biglaw. I know there is a very good chance I might not even get off the waitlist at Osgoode so I'm just trying to figure out how long I should wait before I just decide on Queens and start looking at housing and living situation in Kingston. Thanks!

Merging this here.