Will this years admission averages be similar to last year (higher) than the historical averages for law schools?

Pool12

Pool12
  • Applicant

I know last year the application pool was more competitive (more applicants) resulting in higher LSAT scores and GPA requirements to be admitted. Does anyone know if this year is similar or if it has returned to more historical normal averages? Would be curious to hear peoples thoughts. 

I think there is data available which shows average LSAT scores are lower as are total applications. So if forced to guess I would say this is a less competitive cycle. 

thelawbean
  • Law Student

The general consensus, from what I've heard, is that this cycle will be less competitive than last year but still more so than the previous norm. Mike Spivey said on his podcast that if you consider the 'average' cycle to be a 5-6/10, then last cycle would be a 10/10 and they expect this cycle to be about an 8.5/10 on difficulty. The top LSAT score bands are down from last year but still up from previous years. This is still conjecture though and data isn't as readily available for Canadian schools as the USA. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

PackerLaw
  • Law School Admit

Some numbers I have seen indicate that last year saw about a 30% increase in applications to across Ontario law schools. It appears that the number of applicants this year are down 10% from their numbers last year. Application numbers prior to last cycle can be found here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/olsas-application-statistics/

Osgoode had 3400 applicants last year according to the rejection email I received. This year, OASIS says there are 3037. Prior to last cycle, Osgoode had about 2700 applicants a year (see link above). Western has 2500 this year (from the initial email they sent applicants) which is in contrast to 2700 reported in their same email last cycle. Prior to last cycle, they had about 2100 a year. Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Federale
  • Applicant

For UAlberta, who apparently made the switch from taking your avg LSAT score to your highest LSAT score last cycle, admissions will likely be more competitive as well due to people who wrote the test a bunch of times no longer being penalized for it