In-house exit options

lawstudent918273746

lawstudent918273746

What areas of law have the best opportunities to move in-house? And conversely, which areas would be difficult to transition?  I am under the impression corporate is the most broad and most transferable. 

goosie
  • Lawyer

I'm still a law student, so any lawyers who have more knowledge or have transitioned in or out of in house themselves please feel free to correct me. I've always heard litigation is the most difficult to transition since most places hire external counsel for any litigation needs. Otherwise I've heard general corporate/commercial is the easiest to transition. My understanding is that employers may look for lawyers working in other legal areas depending on their needs (for example, I worked in house at a large corporation last summer and they have a dedicated employment group in the legal department since they have so many employees that it's not practical to retain external counsel for their purposes), but that would be more on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by goosie
added caveat

• 1 month later...
beyondsection17
  • Lawyer

What @goosie said is generally true. I would add though that recently, tons of insurance companies have been building significant in-house litigation groups (50+ lawyers at some of them), so working at least in insurance litigation you're not likely to have a problem transitioning to an in-house job. It must be said though that much like how not all firms are created equal, not all in-house litigation groups are created equal. And if you're looking to go in-house for a type of litigation other than insurance litigation, you're likely to have a tougher time.