can't decide between 2 employment references

lawgrl

lawgrl
  • Law Student

I'm conflicted between two employment references, the first option is a supervisor I have worked with for over 9+ years and the other is a managing partner and lawyer I have recently began working for in August. 

The field I used to work in is related to recreational/public service on a municipal level, they share my passion for community enrichment, especially in the underserved areas of the city. Over the years we have developed a close professional relationship and has known about my aspirations and reasons I want to pursue law, I have them listed on all my other applications and have gained acceptance from some schools already. 

Obviously, having a lawyer vouch for me has its benefits. My dilemma is, I have only been working there for the last 4 months and I don't exactly have a personal relationship with them. I actually got the job on a whim by emailing law firms in my area(v small town in southern Ont) asking for volunteer work and due to the previous clerk leaving on short notice, she decided to give me a chance and hired me full-time. 

For additional context, their reference would be listed on my Dal and TRU application. 

Any advice is appreciated 

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
46 minutes ago, lawgrl said:

I'm conflicted between two employment references, the first option is a supervisor I have worked with for over 9+ years and the other is a managing partner and lawyer I have recently began working for in August. 

The field I used to work in is related to recreational/public service on a municipal level, they share my passion for community enrichment, especially in the underserved areas of the city. Over the years we have developed a close professional relationship and has known about my aspirations and reasons I want to pursue law, I have them listed on all my other applications and have gained acceptance from some schools already. 

Obviously, having a lawyer vouch for me has its benefits. My dilemma is, I have only been working there for the last 4 months and I don't exactly have a personal relationship with them. I actually got the job on a whim by emailing law firms in my area(v small town in southern Ont) asking for volunteer work and due to the previous clerk leaving on short notice, she decided to give me a chance and hired me full-time. 

For additional context, their reference would be listed on my Dal and TRU application. 

Any advice is appreciated 

I would go with the reference who's known you for 9 years. Opinions may differ, but I don't think the reference being from a lawyer will add any weight to your application. It probably doesn't matter that a lawyer wrote it, and it probably doesn't help that your relationship with this individual was only 4 months. 

Nine years is long enough to really get to know someone for who they truly are and that will be reflected in the reference written for you. 

Edited by PulpFiction
  • Like 2

lawgrl
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, PulpFiction said:

I would go with the reference who's known you for 9 years. Opinions may differ, but I don't think the reference being from a lawyer will add any weight to your application. It probably doesn't matter that a lawyer wrote it, and it probably doesn't help that your relationship with this individual was only 4 months. 

Nine years is long enough to really get to know someone for who they truly are and that will be reflected in the reference written for you. 

That's what I was thinking too, so thank you for validating that lol

Edited by lawgrl

I used to volunteer as a career advisor. It is suprising how many people will agree to give a reference but not give a good reference. Agreeing to give a reference does not mean agreeing to give a good reference. I always told people to ask their references what they will say about them and whether it is good or bad.

The next step, depending on how the reference is to be submitted, is asking to see the reference before it is submitted. Most people would not go through the effort of writing you a good reference and a bad reference to send in the latter. 

But to answer your question, I would go with the one you knew for 9 years who can speak to your experience and growth. The examples would be much more personal and in-depth. Law schools probably get reference letters from "fancy people" all the time so a managing partner/lawyer may not be that impressive unless they offer to sponsor a new sholarship or classroom /s

• Like 1

cjs
  • Law Student

Sorry for the late reply!
I asked TRU admissions a similar question as they require two letters of reference.  They expressed preference for referees who can speak to your qualities and traits as opposed to simply "x took my class/worked for me and did well".  So, based on that I would err towards the non-lawyer you worked with for 9 years.  That being said, that advice was given in regards to my specific situation so I suggest giving TRU a call and asking their thoughts - they were super helpful when I spoke with them 🙂