Is there any 1Ls that will be transferring?

frenchie

frenchie
  • Law Student

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my upper year transfer application and was wondering if there were any other 1Ls that were thinking of transferring?

Which schools do you have in mind? Are you transferring for compassionate reasons? Closer to home? Prestige?

Would love to make this a space where we can share information 🙂

bocuma
  • Law Student

I'm also considering transferring! I'm at a school in western Canada, I would transfer to either UofC or UBC.

My only reason to transfer is that I'm not sure I like the city I'm in. It's a shame because the school and people are great. I figure my application wouldn't be as compelling as legitimate compassionate grounds, but I figure it might not hurt to try. It seems like a lot of people transfer successfully, so I'm assuming it isn't out of the question to transfer for non-compassionate reasons.

I'm also considering that I might like it better here if I stuck around for a bit longer - adjusting to new places is always a challenge, nevermind with COVID and the stresses of law school. I also don't make social connections easily, so I tend not to adapt as quickly as other people to new places. I'm pretty on the fence at this point, but I have a while before I have to decide whether or not I'll put in an application.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

I'm at a school in Ontario and wishing to transfer to one closer to home (Alberta). Is it true that it is fairly easy to transfer? How much do 1L grades matter? 

I'm transferring because of mental health reasons, wanting to be closer to home, have little to no support system in Ontario and also because I don't really like the city I'm in as well. Hopefully we are all successful! 

• Like 1

I just posted this in another thread but it may he useful here as well:

While a B+ is a good average for transferring, you also have to remember that schools like Osgoode take at least 50% of transfers on compassionate grounds every year. Could be a lot more, depends on the year. You’ll want to aim as high as possible and create a good application for yourself. Make sure you’re well rounded because if you’re not transferring on compassionate grounds the process can be extremely competitive, especially at Osgoode. If I were to guess, a successful transfer in the normalcategory has closer to the 80-84 average mark. 

In terms of other Ontario schools, i’m sure a B+ 1L average will be just fine. 

• Like 1

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

Are you guys taking 1L online? Do you guys have any predictions on whether next year, law students will have the option to taking their course load online as well? My school right now (in Ontario) is utilizing a bi-modal format in which students can choose to take their course load online. 

frenchie
  • Law Student

I'm in the atlantic provinces and it's online as of right now but we're going back in person next week.

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, frenchie said:

I'm in the atlantic provinces and it's online as of right now but we're going back in person next week.

Is it fully in-person or do you have the choice of taking it online? 

frenchie
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, lawstudentthree said:

Is it fully in-person or do you have the choice of taking it online? 

Fully in-person, no option to go online.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
sunnysunshine
  • Law Student

I'm in the Atlantic as well, taking my 1L and planning on transferring to Queens or uOttawa. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? The Deadline I know is approaching, and I'm finalizing a few elements on OLSAS to submit my transfer application to these Ontario uni's.

• 2 weeks later...
lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

Wanting to transfer to UofA or UofC. Currently in an Ontario school! If anyone has any tips or advice, please let me know! 

Snax
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, johnpery said:

HII....If you’re a 1L and finally have your first semester of grades under your belt, you may be wondering about transferring law schools and whether it’s the right option for you.

Law school admissions committees HATE it: this one little trick will let you transfer into ANY law school 

• LOL 1

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
12 hours ago, lawstudentthree said:

Wanting to transfer to UofA or UofC. Currently in an Ontario school! If anyone has any tips or advice, please let me know! 

I would check with UofA, UofC says they try to take students on compelling circumstances / alberta tie and they also still look at the grades you applied with prior to law school to vet candidates. Whereas UofA for transfers says “ability to succeed” on their transfer profile.

9 hours ago, Snax said:

Law school admissions committees HATE it: this one little trick will let you transfer into ANY law school 

What is the trick?…

Edited by Notworthy

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student
On 4/7/2022 at 2:49 AM, Notworthy said:

I would check with UofA, UofC says they try to take students on compelling circumstances / alberta tie and they also still look at the grades you applied with prior to law school to vet candidates. Whereas UofA for transfers says “ability to succeed” on their transfer profile.

What is the trick?…

What do you mean "alberta tie"? 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, lawstudentthree said:

What do you mean "alberta tie"? 

Connection to Alberta, spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend living in Alberta, parents reside there. A reason you want to return that can be used for compelling circumstances.

Your more likely to get a seat if you have a reason on compassionate grounds vs an upper-year that doesn’t have a tie.

Edited by Notworthy

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Both UofA and UofC take not only your 1L scores but your reason for wanting to transfer. That’s why I asked about the “Alberta tie” if you have a connection to studying in Alberta.

UofA

”In deciding which applicants to admit, the admissions committee will assess both the reasons the student wishes to attend the Faculty and the student's potential to succeed.”

UofC

“Your application will be assessed using the same criteria as for first-year admissions. We will also consider your performance in your first year of law school and your stated reasons for wishing to transfer.”

I’ve looked into this quite a bit since I’m from Alberta and want to come back and emailed admissions. Candidates are more likely to get selected on compelling reasons for doing so.

Edited by Notworthy

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

Ah that makes sense! I'm from Alberta as well haha. Do you think one is considered more important than the other? Which school are you transferring from! 

On 4/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, Notworthy said:

Both UofA and UofC take not only your 1L scores but your reason for wanting to transfer. That’s why I asked about the “Alberta tie” if you have a connection to studying in Alberta.

UofA

”In deciding which applicants to admit, the admissions committee will assess both the reasons the student wishes to attend the Faculty and the student's potential to succeed.”

UofC

“Your application will be assessed using the same criteria as for first-year admissions. We will also consider your performance in your first year of law school and your stated reasons for wishing to transfer.”

I’ve looked into this quite a bit since I’m from Alberta and want to come back and emailed admissions. Candidates are more likely to get selected on compelling reasons for doing so.

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, lawstudentthree said:

Ah that makes sense! I'm from Alberta as well haha. Do you think one is considered more important than the other? Which school are you transferring from! 

I haven’t been admitted yet but I am aiming to transfer to UofC next year, my boyfriend lives there and my dad who is my only parent is there who’s sick. I know UofA generally has a bigger class and takes more students if that is of aid to anyone 185 vs 135~ rough estimates. May be more transfer seats but I cannot confirm this. 

I got into uOttawa, TRU and Ryerson still waiting on UofA but I just want to be closer to my family and have adequate stats for their first year admissions as well 4.0/160. Hope this helps a bit!! 

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Notworthy said:

I haven’t been admitted yet but I am aiming to transfer to UofC next year, my boyfriend lives there and my dad who is my only parent is there who’s sick. I know UofA generally has a bigger class and takes more students if that is of aid to anyone 185 vs 135~ rough estimates. May be more transfer seats but I cannot confirm this. 

I got into uOttawa, TRU and Ryerson still waiting on UofA but I just want to be closer to my family and have adequate stats for their first year admissions as well 4.0/160. Hope this helps a bit!! 

Thank you! That makes so much sense, hope you're able to get in/transfer! All the best 🙂 I feel like UofC has been more competitive these past few years haha in their first year admissions 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, lawstudentthree said:

Thank you! That makes so much sense, hope you're able to get in/transfer! All the best 🙂 I feel like UofC has been more competitive these past few years haha in their first year admissions 

Yeah I think my PS was just crap and I am paying for it haha. If you want to transfer to Alberta send me a DM I went to UofA for undergrad I can give you some points / what to include in your personal statement.