Remote Class Camera Policies

SNAILS

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
42 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Should we even have to show up to class at all?

You've brought this up a few times, and at the risk of wading back into the debate I would just say that no, I don't think you should have to show up to class. There were several classes in law school I rarely attended, and there was one class in law school where I didn't attend a single session.

In general, I think going to class in law school is a good idea and people should go if they can. But if you asked me "should law schools make attending class compulsory", my answer would certainly be a no. Both because that does present equity issues to some students and because law students are grown ups who can make their own decisions about what is best for them. 

I must be out of touch, though, because when I was in law school pre-COVID I think we would have chopped off the head of any student who suggested compulsory attendance was a good idea. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 5

Skweemish
  • Lawyer

As a counter point, since I'm now teaching a class, I would love it if everyone showed up because I think my class is rad as hell. 

It, you know, ISN'T, but I do think that.

Also don't put on your cameras if you don't want to the only person I ever look at is me anyway.

• Like 1

epeeist
  • Lawyer

I was speaking with an adult instructor (not law, and smaller groups so may not be as applicable) who also pointed out that for them, seeing expressions of participants helps them to judge whether they are understanding the material, not understanding, disagreeing, etc. It gives the instructor instant live feedback.

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

• 2 weeks later...
GGrievous
  • Law Student

I wouldn’t mind a requirement to not have resting angry face (all genders included) If you are going to turn the camera on. People’s faces are just awful. 

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, Barry said:

I wouldn’t mind a requirement to not have resting angry face (all genders included) If you are going to turn the camera on. People’s faces are just awful. 

Lol. Ya camera policies are the worst. But at the same time, they can’t dock you marks for having your camera off so I have mine off about 110% of the time. 

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 1

SNAILS
  • Law Student

I'm glad that this discussion is getting back on topic. I'm not sure how "Zoom girls wear panamas, and their hair is a rats nest" got derailed by substantive discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Nom! 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student

Someone was eating cereal on camera too. The constant lifting of the spoon was super distracting. I could see the milk slushing around through their cheek movements. It was a shameful display! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Hugs 1