Admission

kkm1

kkm1
  • Applicant

Is there anyone who got into Canadian law schools with low gpa?  Or low gpa and average lsat? 

Do you think fall 2022 cycle is more competitive than last year?

Edited by kkm1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Looking at your post history, I see you previously asked about getting in with a low GPA, and someone responded who invited you to message them. I know that poster to be a low GPA/high LSAT splitter. So I guess you didn't find that reassuring or get the answer you were seeking.

If you're looking for reassurance that you have a decent shot at getting admitted with well below median stats and no exceptional circumstances/access claim, you're either not to get it or you're going to find some rare exceptional example (probably lacking context) to cherry-pick. Either way it's not really useful to keep asking this, clearly looking for that specific answer that you have in mind.

• Like 1

kkm1
  • Applicant

Most of the posts I see are people with mostly high gpa and high lsat score getting into these law schools. Is it a crime to ask a simple question? 
I want to know if there are people out there who got in without those criteria 

Federale
  • Applicant

Look under the accepted threads for Windsor Dual, that's your best bet for finding people with low GPAs/LSATS that managed to get in

kkm1
  • Applicant
Just now, Federale said:

Look under the accepted threads for Windsor Dual, that's your best bet for finding people with low GPAs/LSATS that managed to get in

Thank you very much! 

Yogurt Baron

One of the reasons you're not likely to get a lot of help is that "low GPA" and "low LSAT" are relative terms. Are we talking about applying to U of T with a 165 or Windsor with a 135? Do you have access circumstances?

Your other thread says you started your undergrad during the pandemic. If I'm doing math right, you've still got a lot of undergrad in front of you before you'll be applying - a lot of time to get good grades. If you've had a bad year or a bad two years, you have time to turn it around. Many schools either explicitly only consider your best credits - they drop your weakest years or weakest credits - or else have holistic admissions policies that will look favourably upon a positive upward trend in your GPA. All of which is to say, what you need to do is focus on getting great grades in the time you have left in your undergrad. Do that, apply at a best-two school, and boom, your GPA for admissions purposes is 4.0.

• Like 1

kkm1
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Yogurt Baron said:

One of the reasons you're not likely to get a lot of help is that "low GPA" and "low LSAT" are relative terms. Are we talking about applying to U of T with a 165 or Windsor with a 135? Do you have access circumstances?

Your other thread says you started your undergrad during the pandemic. If I'm doing math right, you've still got a lot of undergrad in front of you before you'll be applying - a lot of time to get good grades. If you've had a bad year or a bad two years, you have time to turn it around. Many schools either explicitly only consider your best credits - they drop your weakest years or weakest credits - or else have holistic admissions policies that will look favourably upon a positive upward trend in your GPA. All of which is to say, what you need to do is focus on getting great grades in the time you have left in your undergrad. Do that, apply at a best-two school, and boom, your GPA for admissions purposes is 4.0.

Thanks

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

You mentioned that you applied to law school already and are writing the LSAT in January, so don't jinx yourself about getting a low score.Your stats are decent (cGPA - 3.15, second year - 3.75, third year - 4.25). If you focus on last 2 schools and have a 155+ LSAT score, you can probably get in somewhere. Not everyone attending TRU had high GPAs and high LSAT scores. These folks tend to go to UBC and UVic. 

AMG
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, kkm1 said:

Most of the posts I see are people with mostly high gpa and high lsat score getting into these law schools. Is it a crime to ask a simple question? 
I want to know if there are people out there who got in without those criteria 

If course there are people that get in without high stats, but the ones who do it usually comes down to the individual characteristics in their application and how they are presented. It’s so hard to predict how each school will view things such as your PS. Whereas it’s easier to predict when someone has stats at or above the median. 

I would focus on writing your LSAT right now and worry about your chances later. 

Edited by AMG