UofC vs UVic

DingoTrot

DingoTrot
  • Applicant

Hi! I’ve currently been admitted to both schools and am curious about a few things. 

If my goal were to practice in BC, would uCalgs put me at a significant disadvantage? I’m open to staying in AB for a bit to start my career as the cost of living is lower but ultimately I want to end up in BC if not right away. 

I don’t really have much interest in environmental or indigenous law and think I’d like to practice corporate, tax or business. I’m guessing uCalgary would be better suited for this? 

thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

Calgary is somewhat more business oriented and would be better for course selection related to your interests. So I would not agree that UVic is better on every metric. Also, having lived in both, I greatly prefer Calgary. (Most don't, but it's not unanimous). 

But if you want to practice in BC, I don't think it's worth staying in Calgary for the lower cost of living. UVic does plenty well in placing people into corporate firms in Vancouver, so you might as well get started here. I would trade places with you, though. 😉

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

This was the exact decision I had to make a few years ago!

If you want to practice in BC, it makes a lot of sense to go to UVic. You won't be the sole corporate law unicorn out there, I promise. There's diverse interests as compared to other law schools. However, people still want jobs. A lot of my classmates went through the Vancouver recruit (and were successful). 

The course offerings weren't/aren't great, but I'm glad I'm learning BC law and who knows how helpful these courses will be in actual practice. 

If you have any other questions about UVic feel free to PM me.

mjslava
  • Applicant

What would you say would be a better school if you’re interested in pursuing corporate, business, IP, Entertainment, or family law and you’re open to working in either province? I’ve read that UVIC focuses more on Environmental and Indigenous law, but are their course offerings sufficient if you’re interested in other areas?

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

weather, beauty of the city/campus, and cost alone are enough to choose UVIC. Everyday I wakeup in Alberta I have an existential crisis; weather is absolutely heinous 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Twenty
  • Articling Student
On 1/31/2022 at 10:13 AM, Lilbb19 said:

weather, beauty of the city/campus, and cost alone are enough to choose UVIC. Everyday I wakeup in Alberta I have an existential crisis; weather is absolutely heinous 

Something tells me you're from Edmonton...😭

[Insert typical quip about how Calgary is better than/ain't that bad compared to Edmonton]

Edited by Twenty

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Twenty said:

Something tells me you're from Edmonton...😭

[Insert typical quip about how Calgary is better than/ain't that bad compared to Edmonton]

haha, im from BC but living in edmonton atm yes. Agreed, Calgary is definitely better 

• 3 weeks later...
Gamgee
  • Law Student
On 1/30/2022 at 9:30 PM, mjslava said:

What would you say would be a better school if you’re interested in pursuing corporate, business, IP, Entertainment, or family law and you’re open to working in either province? I’ve read that UVIC focuses more on Environmental and Indigenous law, but are their course offerings sufficient if you’re interested in other areas?

Besides your list of interests covering a very wide gamut, you'll likely find courses to match your interests at both schools. UVic's strengths in Indigenous and Environmental law do not replace the standard course offerings (also consider that BC has a very robust film/entertainment industry). 

• Thanks 1