2021 Canadian Law Salary Survey

canuckfanatic

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

Hello everyone! In an effort to make a more up to date and organized salary spreadsheet, I've created this survey.

The survey is anonymous and not connected with any organization. Once it seems like I've collected all the data I'm going to get, I'll turn off responses and analyze the data and present it here.

I understand the survey is not perfect. Your feedback is appreciated and will be factored into the next iteration (which wouldn't be for a year or so at the earliest).

THE SURVEY

Please share this with your friends/classmates/colleagues who aren't on this forum. The more responses, the better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

• Ryn pinned, locked and unlocked this topic
canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

Bumping this. We have over 100 responses, but I'm aiming for 384+ in order to reasonably be able to draw inferences from the data.

Please fill out the survey if you haven't yet, or share it with your colleagues!

• 4 weeks later...
canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 7/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, Judgelight said:

Any idea on when this will be released?

I'll close the survey to new responses at the end of July, then start processing the data and visualize it. 

Responses continue to roll in every day. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Judgelight
  • Lawyer
On 7/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, canuckfanatic said:

I'll close the survey to new responses at the end of July, then start processing the data and visualize it. 

Responses continue to roll in every day. 

Hey, any updates?

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 8/26/2021 at 6:29 AM, Judgelight said:

Hey, any updates?

Working on presenting the data!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Thrive92
  • Applicant
On 8/30/2021 at 10:40 PM, canuckfanatic said:

Working on presenting the data!

Hi @canuckfanatic. Not to be a pest, but are there any updates on the process of the data so far?

Thanks

• Like 1

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 10/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, Thrive92 said:

Hi @canuckfanatic. Not to be a pest, but are there any updates on the process of the data so far?

Thanks

I got married mid-September so it kinda got put on the backburner for the past month. I've got some free time this weekend, hoping to make more progress then!

• Like 2

Thrive92
  • Applicant
On 10/13/2021 at 10:59 AM, canuckfanatic said:

I got married mid-September so it kinda got put on the backburner for the past month. I've got some free time this weekend, hoping to make more progress then!

Congrats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Judgelight
  • Lawyer

Hey @canuckfanatic, need any help? I'm sure i'm not the only one thriving for some results here.

Even preliminary data in a raw format would be interesting (# of respondents, demographics, average salary, average year of call, etc).

Let me know if u need help.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
tortstortstorts
  • Lawyer

I say this in good humour, but it's bad form to collect information from well over 100 people and then ghost on the collected information and the results.

Just release the raw data.  If you need more time to present it in your own way, do it at your own discretion and after you share the data people provided.

The market is already moving from data collected in June & July.

• Like 7

On 10/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, canuckfanatic said:

🥂

• Like 3

KOMODO
  • Lawyer
On 11/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

People complaining about the time it takes people to do something they're doing for free is hilarious. Just be patient and polite. Things come up, people get busy, and OP is volunteering their time and energy to do something none of you thought to do. 

Meh....if you ask hundreds of people to take their time to complete a survey and provide you with data in June, and still haven't provided any feedback at all by mid-November, I think it's fair for the survey-takers to feel irritated. As someone else mentioned, the market has already moved and the data is out of date. 

I think the more fitting takeaway for everyone is that it's really important not to take on more than you can handle. I see this all the time in practice - people overcommit to their detriment. Be realistic about your time, and if you agree to complete something, see it through.

• Like 5

On 11/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

People complaining about the time it takes people to do something they're doing for free is hilarious. Just be patient and polite. Things come up, people get busy, and OP is volunteering their time and energy to do something none of you thought to do. 

But how long does it take to just post the raw data? 

OP’s conduct is super scummy. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Posting raw data collected from individuals who were not told the raw data would be publicly released is "super scummy". 

Anyways, I'm not interested in bickering about something so unimportant. KOMODO is right that people should generally not bite off more than they can chew, but this survey is exceptionally low stakes and people whining about someone's pet project taking too long is a bit silly.

Nobody else took the initiative to do it, so I am unsympathetic to complaints about it. You could have run such a survey if you wanted to (and you still could). 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Cool_name said:

OP’s conduct is super scummy. 

It's the most diabolical form of evil I've ever had the misfortune of encountering.  Let's get through this difficult time together by sharing coping strategies, loose leaf tea, and youtube videos with soothing ambient noise. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Posting raw data collected from individuals who were not told the raw data would be publicly released is "super scummy". 

Going to fully agree on this one. Releasing raw data would be problematic and would have required prior consent.

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Anyways, I'm not interested in bickering about something so unimportant. KOMODO is right that people should generally not bite off more than they can chew, but this survey is exceptionally low stakes and people whining about someone's pet project taking too long is a bit silly.

Nobody else took the initiative to do it, so I am unsympathetic to complaints about it. You could have run such a survey if you wanted to (and you still could). 

If op sends me the data, I’ll post it within a week or two or at least provide an update if I need more time.

I fail to see how it would take more than an hour tops to compile the raw data enough to hide identifying materials.

napqueen
  • Law Student

It’s true that it’s important to learn not to bite off more than you can chew, but it’s equally important to learn to have patience, particularly for a service that is being provided using someone’s spare time, for free, whose circumstances and competing obligations/priorities are unknown. 

• Like 6

Deadpool
  • Lawyer

I generally fall on the side of being patient and considerate for these kinds of things, as this is a free service that someone has volunteered to do. However, it has been nearly 6 months since the OP collected the data from people that trusted them with their personal information. And in that time, I have seen 21 pages worth of posts on Discord from them, and many posts on Reddit as well - and as recently as a few weeks ago. I understand they have personal and professional responsibilities and priorities that are keeping them from completing this endeavour right now. I also think they can take this as a learning lesson to not commit to something they cannot complete within a reasonable amount of time; and if they know that they cannot complete it on time themselves, to allocate the task to trusted individuals and peers to assist them. It is an important lesson that any lawyer starting out in their career has to learn. I usually do not like calling people out for this, and apologize to the OP, as this is a fairly low stakes endeavour; but when you collect personal information from people for an intended purpose, you should prioritize completing the task within a reasonable time, as the purpose for which you had collected the information in the first place can become obsolete. People also have the right to know how the information they provided is being managed and used.