We will be disabling the ability to log in with Facebook soon

Ryn

Hi everyone,

In the next little bit, we will be deactivating the ability to log into the forums using Facebook. As helpful as the feature has probably been to keep the friction of creating a new account low for some members, Facebook has increased its requirements on websites utilizing Facebook login, including requiring that we create them special accounts so they can access registered content to review whether the website meets all of their internal criteria for the continued use of the Facebook login feature. As I am not interested in giving Facebook special access to the forums (even though I suppose they would not have any more access to anything than an ordinary user would), I will be disconnecting Facebook from the forums soon.

What does this mean for you if you use Facebook login?

You can go into your account settings and remove the link at any time (or it will be removed automatically when the integration is disabled). You will be required to create a password at that time, which you can then use to log in to your account without using Facebook.

If you don't do this before the integration gets disabled, don't worry. You will not lose access to your account. Next time you try to log in, you will have to use the Forgot Password function to have a temporary password emailed to you. At that point, you will be able to create a password that you will then use to log into your account.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this will cause some of our members, but I hope that our commitment to your privacy (i.e., not granting Facebook access to even more data than they already have) is a reasonably greater benefit.

• Like 6

• Ryn locked this topic