Transfer student experience?

herewegoagain

herewegoagain
  • Law Student

Hello everyone,

It’s unfortunate to go through the application process again, but here I am. I am planning to transfer to an Ontario law school (I’m at another Canadian law school).

I received my midterm grades today and thankfully, I did well. I know Osgoode and even Western says that a minimum B average is required to transfer, with a successful applicant having a B+ average, and I definitely meet that threshold. I am confident I will excel in my finals as well.

Please let me know if you have any experience with transferring and what your stats were! I’ve spoken to someone who transferred recently and I’m just looking for more info/data about what other successful applicants had when they transferred. 

Thanks! 

Edited by herewegoagain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

I'm interested in this as well. Although I'm at an Ontario school and wishing to transfer elsewhere. Best of luck to both of us! 

While a B+ is a good average for transferring, you also have to remember that schools like Osgoode take at least 50% of transfers on compassionate grounds every year. Could be a lot more, depends on the year. You’ll want to aim as high as possible and create a good application for yourself. Make sure you’re well rounded because if you’re not transferring on compassionate grounds the process can be extremely competitive, especially at Osgoode. If I were to guess, a successful transfer in the normal category has closer to the 80-84 average mark. 

herewegoagain
  • Law Student

Thank you! I’ve spoken to people here and yes, it seems to be that some are transferring on compassionate grounds. I’ve heard that me being in BC wanting to come back to ON may help, but I’m unsure. My average is sitting at almost 78%, with a couple of A- grades.

I’m not really set on Osgoode though - I’m open to absolutely anywhere in Ontario. I’ve got my fingers crossed! 

14 minutes ago, Mustang said:

While a B+ is a good average for transferring, you also have to remember that schools like Osgoode take at least 50% of transfers on compassionate grounds every year. Could be a lot more, depends on the year. You’ll want to aim as high as possible and create a good application for yourself. Make sure you’re well rounded because if you’re not transferring on compassionate grounds the process can be extremely competitive, especially at Osgoode. If I were to guess, a successful transfer in the normal category has closer to the 80-84 average mark. 

Edited by herewegoagain
  • Like 1

I transferred from Ottawa to OZ with A- GPA 8 years ago and I also had companssionate reasons. 

There were a few with B+ average but didn't make it.

herewegoagain
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

I transferred from Ottawa to OZ with A- GPA 8 years ago and I also had companssionate reasons. 

There were a few with B+ average but didn't make it.

Hmmm thank you! I spoke with a few people with B+ averages that made it to Oz as transfers and it's listed as competitive on their site, but who knows. Definitely aiming for at least an A- average and I think that's doable!

Edited by herewegoagain

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student

A- 1L average. Was rejected by U of T but accepted to Oz and Queens. Applied from another Ontario law school

• Thanks 1