How do I find my OLSAS GPA?

VitalGiraffe

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm sure it's been answered here.

Edit: How do I request my transcript from the Ontario university I attended?

Edited by VitalGiraffe

Renerik
  • Law Student

I usually direct people to this site to calculate their OLSAS GPA: https://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/

You can do it manually with an excel spreadsheet but unless you know what you're doing, you can screw it up by not accounting for different credit values, Ws, etc.

As for how to receive your transcript from your Alma matter, each school is different however your school has a student services center that can most likely be accessed online. You can order a transcript to be sent to yourself/OLSAS via student services. If you just want to calculate your GPA, you should have a way to request a pdf unofficial transcript from student services to plug and chug into the calculator I linked above.

If you're really lost, just google "Official/Unofficial transcript [University name]"

Edit: OLSAS wants the transcript to be mailed directly to them from your University so don't order a copy for yourself only to forward it to OLSAS.

[Mod edit: Updated URL to new calculator site]

• Like 1

Apple
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm sure it's been answered here.

Edit: How do I request my transcript from the Ontario university I attended?

To request your transcript, this is done through your institution. Every institution has an online transcript ordering process (although some of them are slower in processing/offering these services right now due to Covid)

To determine your cGPA as it relates to OLSAS's 4.0 scale you will need to convert your school's letter grade to the OLSAS scale (to do so you'll need to know your institution and letter grade and then compare it to the conversion chart provided by OLSAS. conversely, you can use the tool available on this forum). 

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, Apple said:

To request your transcript, this is done through your institution. Every institution has an online transcript ordering process (although some of them are slower in processing/offering these services right now due to Covid)

To determine your cGPA as it relates to OLSAS's 4.0 scale you will need to convert your school's letter grade to the OLSAS scale (to do so you'll need to know your institution and letter grade and then compare it to the conversion chart provided by OLSAS. conversely, you can use the tool available on this forum). 

I was on my university's transcript order form but am not sure which option to pick. Do I have it mailed physically to some OUAC address?

Renerik
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

I was on my university's transcript order form but am not sure which option to pick. Do I have it mailed physically to some OUAC address?

The information is readily available online and should be rather easy to find...

If you're not sure what option to pick and it's not obvious, call/email your student services/registrar and let them know you want to send a transcript to OLSAS. They've dealt with this question dozens of times. Unfortunately we dont know what these options are because we dont know your Alma matter and it differs between universities. 

As for a physical address:

OLSAS
170 Research Lane
Guelph ON  N1G 5E2

Screenshot_20210615-212220_Chrome.jpg

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
31 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Why are you trying to order a transcript?

If it's for your own personal use, you can order it to your house.

If you're getting it for a law school application or to fulfill an acceptance requirement (like submitting your final transcript), then you request it through OLSAS, not your university.

If you're an applicant, you'll have to wait until late August/early Sept to do this.

If you're sending an updated transcript prior to 1L, then you would request it through OLSAS just as you did in November.

LMP
  • Law Student
58 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

If you go to an Ontario school and you just want to calculate your marks for yourself, you don't need to order a physical transcript. You should be able to order a virtual transcript. I know my school had this function so I'd imagine others do too.

Apple
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, VitalGiraffe said:

As other's have mentioned where you send it depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want it for your own keeping order it to wherever you will be able to get it from when it arrives. If it is for an existing law school application then follow the same route you did when you first applied. 

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 6/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, TobyFlenderson said:

Why are you trying to order a transcript?

If it's for your own personal use, you can order it to your house.

If you're getting it for a law school application or to fulfill an acceptance requirement (like submitting your final transcript), then you request it through OLSAS, not your university.

If you're an applicant, you'll have to wait until late August/early Sept to do this.

If you're sending an updated transcript prior to 1L, then you would request it through OLSAS just as you did in November.

Pardon my stupid questions. It is for my application, so I will wait until August/September. What I really wanted to know is what my OLSAS GPA is exactly. Do people get this from self-calculating with the conversion chart, or does OLSAS tell them after they receive their transcript?

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

After you submit your application, eventually an OLSAS calculated GPA will display on OLSAS. Most people don’t like to wait that long, because by then you’ve already applied and even then it takes some time after you submit your app for it to appear.

Are you familiar with OLSAS’ GPA conversion chart? You’ll want to take each of your grades individually and convert them using a chart. Full year credits should be done twice to adjust for their increased weight over single semester courses. You can find the chart here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/

Once you’ve converted each grade, add up the new values and then divide by the number of courses (keeping in mind that full year classes should be counted twice!).

If you take your overall average and convert that to an OLSAS GPA (say you have an 80 average and you convert it to a 3.7), you will end up with a misleading result that is probably too high. Because an 80 is a 3.7, a 79 is a 3.3 and an 85 is a 3.9, the gap between an 80 and a 79 is much larger than in raw percentages and you need more 85s to outweigh the 79. If you don’t convert each grade individually, the result you get will not take into consideration this weighting scheme.

I hope that helps!

• Like 2

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, TobyFlenderson said:

The perfect answer

Thank you! All the information I was looking for, and more.

• Like 1