Articling in Family Law

Lawnerd142

Lawnerd142
  • Law Student

Hi everyone,

I am a third year student at an Ontario law school. This summer I worked in a boutique civil litigation firm. They also offered me to stay for articling but I refused for various reasons. This semester I took a family law course and I absolutely loved the material and became really interested in this area of law. I'm hoping to find articling in a firm that focuses on family law or has a family law department.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me or if anyone knows a family law firm that is looking for an articling student to start this summer. 

If you know of any opportunities, please message me and I can send my resume, cover letter and transcripts.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

I have worked in this field as counsel for many years. I practice in Ontario. In what city are you looking to article? (You can PM me this information - it will be confidential).

Do you have any background in family law? Clinics? Volunteer experience? Work experience? Any court experience? (in-person or zoom court). 

Why do you want to do family law - aside from loving the materials?

The practice of family law contrasts sharply with theory and the law.

Edited by Aureliuse
  • Like 1

Lawnerd142
  • Law Student
On 1/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Aureliuse said:

I have worked in this field as counsel for many years. I practice in Ontario. In what city are you looking to article? (You can PM me this information - it will be confidential).

Do you have any background in family law? Clinics? Volunteer experience? Work experience? Any court experience? (in-person or zoom court). 

Why do you want to do family law - aside from loving the materials?

The practice of family law contrasts sharply with theory and the law.

Hey, thanks for responding. I'm looking for a position in the GTA. I do have civil litigation experience both in a private firm setting and clinics. The firm I was summering with mostly handles labour and employment law cases but we did get an occasional family law case which I was involved in. I have experiences with courts, settlement conferences, mediation sessions, etc. 

In regards to why I like family law, besides the study material, I like the human aspect of it. I'm a big people's person and I love how as a family lawyer you are helping people in usually the most vulnerable time of their lives. Also, I really enjoy participating in ADR and I know family law does involve a lot of that. It is a also a very complex area of law which I absolutely enjoy.

• Like 2

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

I can send you a list of family law boutiques that have student programs or hire articling students; or tell you which full service firms in the GTA that practices family law as a significant practice hire articling students.

Due to the pandemic and many lawyers working from home, my knowledge of the family law job market is outdated.

Send me a PM please.

Edited by Aureliuse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2