Seeking application cycle advice

jimmy991

jimmy991
  • Undergrad

So I have attended two universities. I did so bad at my first one that I got suspended. I transferred to my current university and is doing pretty well, gpa is 3.85 for school year 2020-2021 and is on track to similar grades this semester. My question is, I will have two years of good grades when application opens later this year. Should I go ahead and apply or should I wait for three years of good grade to show up on my transcript before applying? Just for context, my cgpa(combined with grades at my previous university) is around 2.8 with two years of good grades and is around 3.2 with three years of good grades. Since there are some L2/B2 schools and I'm not getting into any cgpa school anyway, should I go ahead and apply? My biggest concern is if I failed this cycle, I'm just gonna recycle application material and that might makes me look bad?

easttowest
  • Lawyer

I highly doubt they’re tracking application materials that closely, though some on here might know better. 

• 2 weeks later...
owl12
  • Applicant

If you’re happy with the B2 schools then definitely apply! I know there are some B3 school though, so waiting a year will give you some extra options. What’s your LSAT?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

If I'm reading your post correctly, your projected B2 will be 3.8ish by the time you supposedly apply this year, right? You're likely in at some B2/L2 schools with that gpa plus a solid LSAT score (160+). The difference between a 2.8 and a 3.2 cgpa doesn't really matter to B2/L2 schools since both are below the 25th. Lots of people reapply each cycle, and I don't think law schools care if you reuse the material. But I'll rewrite the PS and, if applicable, retake the LSAT after failing in the previous cycle. 

IMO the only impact of applying this year will be the time available for your LSAT prep. Ideally, you should spend at least three months on it, if not longer. If you can maintain your current grades while studying the LSAT, I'd say it's worth shooting the shot. 

31 minutes ago, owl12 said:

I know there are some B3 school though

I think UofT is the only B3 school. 

Edited by LordBONSAI
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, owl12 said:

If you’re happy with the B2 schools then definitely apply! I know there are some B3 school though, so waiting a year will give you some extra options. What’s your LSAT?

I would second this. There are a few good B2 schools and if you have two really good years, your chances of admission will be fairly high!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
jimmy991
  • Undergrad

Update

Final grade for 2021-22fw is out. My L2/B2 is now officially 3.85. I'd be thrilled if I can get into Western/Queens/Windsor and other out of province law school this year but I really want to take my chance with U of T in 2023. So I'm torn right now. Appreciate any advice.