How to tackle big words?

Jas24

Jas24
  • Applicant

I just wanted to know some tips on how you guys tackle big words that you may not understand in reading comp or LR? 

Break it down and look for indicators. For example if it has “bi” or “tri” or “quad” you have 2, 3, or 4.

Google is always a solid backup. 

Jas24
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Break it down and look for indicators. For example if it has “bi” or “tri” or “quad” you have 2, 3, or 4.

Google is always a solid backup. 

I cant use google during an exam lol.

GGrievous
  • Law Student

If you're talking about the very technical often science/medical terms they throw in you can usually just ignore that particular word and call it by its first letter. Like if you see acetylsalicylic just call it A. 

• Like 3

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

If you end up doing a lot of PTs (which you should do) then you will see that they like to use some of the same strange words often. Off the top of my head "deleterious" comes to mind. A word like that you can deduce from the word itself, 'delete' is in it. Try and remember those but besides that context will usually do it.

Edited by VitalGiraffe
I also almost got perfect on a very tough RC but didn't know 'preponderance'... it just means 'most'.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
On 1/14/2022 at 5:33 PM, Jas24 said:

I just wanted to know some tips on how you guys tackle big words that you may not understand in reading comp or LR? 

Late to this but context. You also don’t need to know the definitions of every term and if the ask you in a question for a synonym the answer is generally clear by the context of the sentence. Hope this helps someone out ❤️.

Philosophy
  • Law Student

Usually I grab them by the waist and thrust my shoulder into their midsection. Worked pretty well for me. 

• Nom! 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Philosophy said:

Usually I grab them by the waist and thrust my shoulder into their midsection. Worked pretty well for me. 

I just stab them right in the back. 

• LOL 1