JD advantage jobs

Hope97

whereverjustice
  • Lawyer

A JD advantage job is one where having a law degree/license is a significant asset in getting/keeping/succeeding in the job, but not a requirement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

frenchie
  • Law Student

Consulting! I’ve had a few friends that got into consulting gigs right after law school with MBB and big 4 firms. 

• Like 2

Turtles
  • Law Student

My current role (pre-law school job as a mature student) may be construed as a JD advantage job (more than half of my peers/predecessors in the past 10 years have had JDs or LLBs as legal training obviously helps with the legal research/writing we do). The only one who went on to article (secondment with our Internal Legal team) then left to join a law firm once licensed. 

You haven't posed any substantive question so I'm not sure what information you're looking for.

• Like 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
54 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Consulting! I’ve had a few friends that got into consulting gigs right after law school with MBB and big 4 firms. 

Were they in U of T JD/MBA? Because the only person I know that managed to land MBB consulting from Osgoode was a JD/MBA who was also a medalist. An MBB consulting firm is very difficult to land with a Canadian law degree. I know lawyers working at seven sister law firms that interviewed with the MBB but were unsuccessful at getting in. I know a Harvard law grad that got in recently though.

frenchie
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Were they in U of T JD/MBA? Because the only person I know that managed to land MBB consulting from Osgoode was a JD/MBA who was also a medalist. An MBB consulting firm is very difficult to land with a Canadian law degree. I know lawyers working at seven sister law firms that interviewed with the MBB but were unsuccessful at getting in. I know a Harvard law grad that got in recently though.

I know two uOttawa law grads at McKinsey Montréal!

• Like 1

Hope97
  • Law Student
On 1/15/2022 at 8:42 PM, Turtles said:

My current role (pre-law school job as a mature student) may be construed as a JD advantage job (more than half of my peers/predecessors in the past 10 years have had JDs or LLBs as legal training obviously helps with the legal research/writing we do). The only one who went on to article (secondment with our Internal Legal team) then left to join a law firm once licensed. 

You haven't posed any substantive question so I'm not sure what information you're looking for.

I was just wondering if people have done this and if so which jobs they got!