1L Recruits 2022

LegalFox

LegalFox
  • Law Student

I'm aware that most of them are sending them out. Confident that Osler and Blakes will be doing it and I've heard that Davies will send out both ITCs and rejections. My hunch is that it'll start as early as next week. Let's keep each other in the loop 🤩

Best of luck!

Edited by LegalFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

Probably a good idea to split the threads into Ontario and Alberta as opposed to just one big 1L recruit thread.

• Like 1

frozenbananas
  • Law Student

Does anyone have a sense of like the method behind how they make their selections? They must have gotten hundreds of applications and need to turn around ITCs essentially in two weeks. How is it possible to read every single cover letter and supporting materials in that amount of time. 

I'm just curious if anyone has insight into the mechanics of the process.

27 minutes ago, frozenbananas said:

Does anyone have a sense of like the method behind how they make their selections? They must have gotten hundreds of applications and need to turn around ITCs essentially in two weeks. How is it possible to read every single cover letter and supporting materials in that amount of time. 

I'm just curious if anyone has insight into the mechanics of the process.

They don't read it all the closely. You'd be surprised as to how fast you can get through a stack of applications. 

Ive never hired for a law firm but here's how I did it in my past roles: 

1. Quick scan of the resume, if it seems sparse or lacks a key criteria I toss it. Takes about 15 seconds a resume. If it seems half decent I put it in a pile for further review. I imagine that law firms do a similar first shifting of candidates but likely use grades as well as experience.

2. Second look at the resumes I've kept, shortlisting the candidates that I feel have interesting or impressive experience. You can also make this list if you have something that really stands out. I'll give it about, 30 seconds a resume, max.

3. Now I might look at things like cover letters or grades as I try and cut down my shortlist. I look for half decent writing, some sign they actually know about what they're applying to and if they have good marks or graduated from a program I recognize. This is the most time consuming part but the number of resumes is much smaller so it balances out. 

You can do about 300 resumes in a week and a bit using this method. And I'm sure law firms have an even more refined method. 

• Like 1

frozenbananas
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, LMP said:

They don't read it all the closely. You'd be surprised as to how fast you can get through a stack of applications. 

Ive never hired for a law firm but here's how I did it in my past roles: 

1. Quick scan of the resume, if it seems sparse or lacks a key criteria I toss it. Takes about 15 seconds a resume. If it seems half decent I put it in a pile for further review. I imagine that law firms do a similar first shifting of candidates but likely use grades as well as experience.

2. Second look at the resumes I've kept, shortlisting the candidates that I feel have interesting or impressive experience. You can also make this list if you have something that really stands out. I'll give it about, 30 seconds a resume, max.

3. Now I might look at things like cover letters or grades as I try and cut down my shortlist. I look for half decent writing, some sign they actually know about what they're applying to and if they have good marks or graduated from a program I recognize. This is the most time consuming part but the number of resumes is much smaller so it balances out. 

You can do about 300 resumes in a week and a bit using this method. And I'm sure law firms have an even more refined method. 

Interesting! Outside of law you could spend 2 months waiting for a company to hear back for a single role and then months going through the recruitment process.

I've worked before coming to law school and so I am so fascinated by the speed at which the recruits take place (esp. 1L)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frozenbananas said:

Interesting! Outside of law you could spend 2 months waiting for a company to hear back for a single role and then months going through the recruitment process.

I've worked before coming to law school and so I am so fascinated by the speed at which the recruits take place (esp. 1L)

Oh we don't get back to you that fast, that's just how quickly we went through resumes. Then HR juggles it for a few months to make sure no department is fully staffed. 

But still, better than when I worked in government...

• LOL 2

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, frozenbananas said:

Don't lose sight of this perspective - it will keep you grounded. So many law students complain about the 1L/OCI style recruitment process despite it being an absolute joke from an effort and speed standpoint, because a lot of them have no clue what real world hiring looks like (or did, pre-COVID).

• Like 2

Harvey18
  • Law Student

Are ITCs likely going to be sent out this week?

The process makes it seem like such a long shot to get a position in this type of recruit. 

Edited by Harvey18

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

How will applicants be notified of ITC? Is it through e-mail or through the application portal?

frozenbananas
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Don't lose sight of this perspective - it will keep you grounded. So many law students complain about the 1L/OCI style recruitment process despite it being an absolute joke from an effort and speed standpoint, because a lot of them have no clue what real world hiring looks like (or did, pre-COVID).

Ya hate to clutter this thread but just for folks reading this and trying to not come off too paternalistic, truly it is a blessing to have multiple employers essentially agree to accept your applications on the exact same day, hold sessions about what they look for in an employee, agree to actually respond to you one way or the other etc.

Of course the process can be demoralizing and there are real issues with it, but I do think we have to remember we're a little lucky to have this essentially lined up for us not once, or twice, but three times at that.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
29 minutes ago, Harvey18 said:

Are ITCs likely going to be sent out this week?

This week would be a bit early for most, though some of the faster firms might get ITCs out on Friday. Next week is more likely. 

32 minutes ago, Harvey18 said:

The process makes it seem like such a long shot to get a position in this type of recruit.

It is a long shot. Only a handful of students from each school will get a position in the 1L recruit—basically 2 or 3% of each law school's class, excluding U of T. 

30 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

How will applicants be notified of ITC? Is it through e-mail or through the application portal?

Email, unless things have changed in recent years. 

• Thanks 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
59 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

This week would be a bit early for most, though some of the faster firms might get ITCs out on Friday.

To add to this: if memory serves, I believe Davies is usually the quickest to send out ITCs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LegalFox
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, Strife said:

Does anyone know if Davies sends out their ITC/PFOs all on the same day?

I'm assuming so!

Ke2
  • Law Student
33 minutes ago, LegalFox said:

I'm assuming so!

I didn't get either a PFO or ITC from Davies, so there is still some hope I guess.

I was told that PFOs/ITCs are sent by school so it is likely that they did not get to all schools today.

Edited by HSpecter