Osgoode Student AMA

omigone

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Just an FYI that the best summaries won't be the ones posted online. No one posts the summary that gets an A in the course, but if you're lucky, you and your friends will share those types of summaries among yourselves once you get into upper year courses. My suggestion for 1L is to use the database to find a summary early on, and use it in classes throughout the term to add to the information on it, make sure the most important part of what the prof is saying about the case is on it, and most importantly - check the information on the summary is actually correct. I was in a study group in contracts for 1L and we were preparing our summaries for the final when someone realized the ratios on his summary (which he'd gotten from the database) were wrong. And not a little wrong, but the exact opposite of what our prof had said in class and what we'd taken down in our notes. We couldn't figure out if it was just a bad summary or if someone had posted it to mess with people. But lesson learned, don't rely on them without checking the information. Seems obvious, but sometimes the obvious gets lost during 1L when everything is new and stressful.

• Like 2

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, OntheVerge said:

Just an FYI that the best summaries won't be the ones posted online. No one posts the summary that gets an A in the course, but if you're lucky, you and your friends will share those types of summaries among yourselves once you get into upper year courses. My suggestion for 1L is to use the database to find a summary early on, and use it in classes throughout the term to add to the information on it, make sure the most important part of what the prof is saying about the case is on it, and most importantly - check the information on the summary is actually correct. I was in a study group in contracts for 1L and we were preparing our summaries for the final when someone realized the ratios on his summary (which he'd gotten from the database) were wrong. And not a little wrong, but the exact opposite of what our prof had said in class and what we'd taken down in our notes. We couldn't figure out if it was just a bad summary or if someone had posted it to mess with people. But lesson learned, don't rely on them without checking the information. Seems obvious, but sometimes the obvious gets lost during 1L when everything is new and stressful.

I agree with most of this paragraph. The one thing I'll note is that a number of excellent summaries were added to Osgoode's database when I was there as student government pushed their friends to send in their summaries.

Outside of this - completely agreed. Getting one from a trusted friend is the best path, but try to do so early and then check it + update it as you go on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Oh that's a great note to make. Maybe it was just the people in my year as most were threatening "pain of death" to any one in study groups who uploaded A summaries.

• LOL 1

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

Totally off topic but I thought about this question as I was reading the replies: when did you find out which section you are in? Was it after orientation week?

On 3/29/2022 at 1:54 PM, OntheVerge said:

Oh that's a great note to make. Maybe it was just the people in my year as most were threatening "pain of death" to any one in study groups who uploaded A summaries.

I hope people in my year don’t do that, pay it forward you know? 🥲🥲🥲

On 3/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, ZineZ said:

I agree with most of this paragraph. The one thing I'll note is that a number of excellent summaries were added to Osgoode's database when I was there as student government pushed their friends to send in their summaries.

Outside of this - completely agreed. Getting one from a trusted friend is the best path, but try to do so early and then check it + update it as you go on. 

Oh this is great, another reason to be networking!! 

LMP
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Asianinbanking said:

Totally off topic but I thought about this question as I was reading the replies: when did you find out which section you are in? Was it after orientation week?

I hope people in my year don’t do that, pay it forward you know? 🥲🥲🥲

Oh this is great, another reason to be networking!! 

You find out at some point in the summer, before August I think. Maybe as early as June, I don't really remember. 

As to the second point, you'll always have those people. In fact you'll be shocked by just how many people are willing to morph from polite and friendly to cutthroat when it comes to the more competitive aspects of law school. 

• Like 1

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

Thank you so much! I read it somewhere that the sections are decided randomly. I cannot wait to find out which section I will be in! 

one last question and I swear I am done after this: does anyone know if Osgoode has a student club for golfing? 

Edited by Asianinbanking
Rephrase my question

Turtles
  • Law Student
On 4/3/2022 at 12:38 AM, Asianinbanking said:

Second to third week of July. They assign sections and enroll you in courses during their formal registration process (if you need a letter of registration for govt/bank purposes, after registration is when they are allowed to issue you a letter). Suddenly one day your courses will be set up in the York system and then you get an email with your section assignment a day or so later.

• Thanks 1

BruiserWoods
  • Law Student

I got an email about my section and small group on July 16th.

Edited by BruiserWoods
  • Like 2

BruiserWoods
  • Law Student
On 4/6/2022 at 12:19 AM, Asianinbanking said:

Thank you so much! I read it somewhere that the sections are decided randomly. I cannot wait to find out which section I will be in! 

one last question and I swear I am done after this: does anyone know if Osgoode has a student club for golfing? 

Just an FYI: the sections are not assembled "randomly". Osgoode puts all of the students who self-identify as indigenous into one section, and they construct the other sections in a manner that they have not revealed, but they have confirmed that it is not random.

Edited by BruiserWoods
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
On 4/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, BruiserWoods said:

Just an FYI: the sections are not assembled "randomly". Osgoode puts all of the students who self-identify as indigenous into one section, and they construct the other sections in a manner that they have not revealed, but they have confirmed that it is not random.

Oh wow, this is interesting! Thanks for the insight!

• 10 months later...
JimmyMcGill
  • Law Student

Is it time to revive the AMA thread?  Current Osgoode 3L here, dm me people. Happy to pay it forward, but don't come here much. 

• 2 weeks later...
Mmlawschool
  • Law School Admit

Are most classes in person or online? And for the in person classes, are masks required?

Turtles
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, Mmlawschool said:

Are most classes in person or online? And for the in person classes, are masks required?

Almost all classes are taught fully in-person. The odd exceptions are the digital pilots that sometimes come up, one-offs where the prof may be sick / travelling, some visiting professors or guest lecturers from outside Toronto, one-offs where an adjunct doesn't have enough time to get up to campus that day, etc. That said, nearly all courses (usually exam-based courses) are recorded during the in-person instruction and made available shortly thereafter, while seminars (usually participation and paper-based courses) are usually never recorded. 

No masks. 

Edited by Turtles

Margaret
  • Applicant

Hola! Quick question about orientation. 
What is it? Is it just a 1 day event or does it span over several days? Is it mandatory to attend? 

BishopGW
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, Margaret said:

Hola! Quick question about orientation. 
What is it? Is it just a 1 day event or does it span over several days? Is it mandatory to attend? 

Last year there was an official welcome day followed by a week's worth of social events. Orientation events overlapped with the first week of classes, which is a light week.  IIRC none of it was mandatory, but you should try to go to a few events so you get to know some of your classmates. 

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student

Any specific upper year courses you recommend taking?

Recommend in the sense you either found it practical and / or its taught especially well. Not necessarily looking for bird courses. Thanks. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, Professor Lupin said:

Any specific upper year courses you recommend taking?

Recommend in the sense you either found it practical and / or its taught especially well. Not necessarily looking for bird courses. Thanks. 

Depends on your specific interests. Lots of great corporate classes you would hate if your interests lie in criminal, and vice versa.

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student
26 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Depends on your specific interests. Lots of great corporate classes you would hate if your interests lie in criminal, and vice versa.

Interested in hearing what the great corporate classes are

Turtles
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Professor Lupin said:

Interested in hearing what the great corporate classes are

If you want to go through hell but learn a lot, ABLW I & II (by hell, I mean the greatest ratio of work per credit earned possible at Osgoode)

If you want some really valuable practical litigation skills and free dinner, the commercial litigation workshop.

If you want to learn some US law through weekly guest speakers surveying a wide array of topics (including meeting the CEO of the OSC), US Securities. 

If you want some practical securities work, Investor Protection Clinic. 

If you want to chill, Osgoode Business Clinic or Osgoode Venture Capital Clinic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question about exams: Are they open book / are we allow to bring some materials in with us?

I ask because I am currently completing an graduate degree in the UK where I have been able to take some LLM courses as part of it. But all the law exams here are closed book - so hard to remember cases, facts, procedures, etc. 

This is making me reconsider LS entirely😓 

Edited by jomar

LMP
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, jomar said:

Question about exams: Are they open book / are we allow to bring some materials in with us?

I ask because I am currently completing an graduate degree in the UK where I have been able to take some LLM courses as part of it. But all the law exams here are closed book - so hard to remember cases, facts, procedures, etc. 

This is making me reconsider LS entirely😓 

I've never had an exam in law school that wasn't open book. 

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, LMP said:

I've never had an exam in law school that wasn't open book. 

In the last exam session run by the Dean, I think I remember they said there was exactly one exam that semester that was closed book, everything else was open...

• 3 months later...
Rigel
  • Applicant
On 4/11/2023 at 4:53 AM, Turtles said:

If you want to go through hell but learn a lot, ABLW I & II (by hell, I mean the greatest ratio of work per credit earned possible at Osgoode)

If you want some really valuable practical litigation skills and free dinner, the commercial litigation workshop.

If you want to learn some US law through weekly guest speakers surveying a wide array of topics (including meeting the CEO of the OSC), US Securities. 

If you want some practical securities work, Investor Protection Clinic. 

If you want to chill, Osgoode Business Clinic or Osgoode Venture Capital Clinic. 

Hi! I plan to transfer to Oz as in 2l, assuming I succeed in transferring, am I able to choose OVC? I found it in the course list but it says you need to apply for this course and be selected. Just wondering whether I will miss the deadline to apply as a transfer student

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

You have to apply to the various clinics, including the venture capital clinic. Not sure what the application timeline is off the top of my head, though.