Why you should move to Windsor for Fall 2021!

VanCity250

Hi everyone, and congratulations to all the 0Ls who have been accepted this year and are considering moving to Windsor for Fall 2021. 

I wanted to make a thread to give reasons why law students should move to Windsor. Personally, I am moving back in the Fall, even if classes are mostly online or "hybrid". For context, I am a 2L, and moving to Windsor at the start of 1L was one of the best decisions I ever made.

As a preface, I want to say that I understand there are financial/personal limitations for some people and moving to Windsor while classes are mostly online (as of June) is not feasible. If you cannot afford to move, then please do not move and put yourself in a precarious financial position. However, if you have the means, and no strict family/personal obligations at home, here are the reasons why you SHOULD move to Windsor for Fall 2021:  

1. Studying/Grades: There was a massive benefit for me in having a real in-person study group. Even though all classes were online, being able to sit and study/do assignments with my classmates definitely helped me beat the curve and finish 1L with a strong GPA. I'm certain that classes would have been 100x more difficult if I tried to do 1L by myself at home in front of a computer for 8 months. Zoom study groups are not engaging enough for me, and it was already bad enough that classes were fully online. 

2. Personal life: It was extremely beneficial for my mental/physical health to move out, meet my classmates, and have my own space to live/exercise/study. There is a decent nightlife in Windsor and I made some amazing friends because I was actually there to bond with people. Us 1Ls that moved to Windsor last year formed our own little family (as another user mentioned in a different thread) and we had a few great pub nights before the lockdowns. I'm sure it will only get even better in Fall 2021 as the pandemic eases up and the vaccines keep coming. 1L is already difficult enough, and making friends, going out, and having my own place helped me make it through it all. 

3. Reopening of campus and classrooms: The law school admins have already mentioned that campus spaces (lounges, library) will start opening in Fall 2021 and are currently working on bringing more classes back in person. They have already confirmed at least one class will be in person for 1Ls (ILO), and 3 different upper year classes will be in person for 2Ls/3Ls. I would bet that even more classes will be in person and more campus spaces will open for Winter 2022 (or even earlier at we approach Fall). 

This is just a quick little list I put together, but if there are any other students who moved to Windsor please share any other reasons I might have missed! I'll also try to answer any questions I can about living in Windsor. 

Ultimately, the more of us that move to Windsor this year, the faster we can start rebuilding the Windsor Law community. Hope to see you all in the Fall!

Edited by raptors905
  • Like 1