For admits either have accepted or plan on accepting UofT, what area of the law do you eventually hope to practice in?

Dnian

Dnian
  • Law Student

Obviously, a lot can change in law school. You could definitely discover a newfound passion for a different area of the law than originally expected. In spite of that, though, I'm curious to see what the overwhelming majority response will be from the outset - whether most people who plan on accepting UofT this cycle are primarily interested in Corp/Bay Street placements, or also in a diversity of other things. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, Dnian said:

Obviously, a lot can change in law school. You could definitely discover a newfound passion for a different area of the law than originally expected.

Right, I'm sure "discovering a newfound passion for a different area of the law" is the reason that so many applicants and 1Ls purport to be interested in various "social justice"-type advocacy only to later accept BigLaw jobs. 🙄

For real, ask people for shits and giggles if you want, but don't put any stock in what admits claim to be interested in. UofT publishes highly detailed statistics about where their grads actually end up. That will tell you a lot more.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

"discovering a newfound passion for a different area of the law" is the reason that so many applicants and 1Ls purport to be interested in various "social justice"-type advocacy only to later accept BigLaw jobs

I am shocked, shocked and appalled, to hear that my colleagues' shifting career goals are motivated by anything less pure than true love for the law of secured transactions / commercial real estate. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 1
  • LOL 11

owl12
  • Applicant

I accepted, and I wrote my optional essay about my interest in an academic career in law and economics. Specifically focusing on legal innovation, legal development, and legal accessibility.

I’m also very well aware that a good chunk of law school students change their minds once they’re in school, so I’m keeping an open mind!

• Like 3