UBC vs UofA

pigeon

Hi everyone! I'm an engineering student at the UofA and I plan to attend law school next fall. Offers from both UofA and UBC (plus Toronto, Osgoode, Queens, but have ruled these out due to cost of tuition). I plan to pursue a legal career in Alberta.

• UBC: arguably the 2nd best school in Canada (next to UofT), has a great building/campus, etc. I also think it would be valuable to move out and experience a new city for a few years.
  • UofA: would likely have more connections to the Alberta legal market, and I could save money by living at home. That said, I went here for my undergrad degree and feel ready for a change. 

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Borat
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, pigeon said:

I plan to pursue a legal career in Alberta.

Probably best to go to UofA if you plan on working in Alberta. I don't think going to UBC would really put you at a disadvantage, but it probably won't give you any tangible benefits as well. You should also consider cost of living in Vancouver. It could easily cost you up to $60,000 more during your degree compared to living at home. Even if you moved out Edmonton would still be significantly cheaper.

3 hours ago, pigeon said:

I went here for my undergrad degree and feel ready for a change. 

Have you considered UofC? Tuition fees are similar to UofA, you can live in a new city, but still be connected to the Alberta legal market and save money compared to UBC. 

• Law School Admit

Making this same decision! I am from Calgary so UofA would feel like a easier adjustment and closer to home. I am leaning to pick UBC though just because I am not sure what area of law I want to practice in the future and unsure if I will practice in Alberta. I don't feel like going to UBC will restrict my future employment opportunities in Alberta. Definitely a tough decision- would also love to hear more insight on this!