Bora Laskin (Lakehead) vs Windsor

GoldenLawk87

GoldenLawk87
  • Law School Admit

Hey guys! I am very grateful that I have received offers from both Windsor and Lakehead for admissions to their Fall 2022 class. I am just a little worried about making the decision between them. I am hoping to pursue a career in litigation and potentially work for the Crown one day. I am from the GTA so on one hand Windsor is closer to home and I could see myself enjoying my time there; but, on the other hand, Lakehead does offer IPC and so I am feeling very conflicted. Is there anyone who had to make a similar choice who could help guide me? Or anyone from either school who could share their positive/negative experiences? Thanks so much in advance!

gingerbeer
  • Law Student

Windsor (assuming you mean single degree). No brainer in my opinon especially if you're from the GTA and hope to work in the GTA after graduating. All things equal you'll have more opportunties open for you to pursue during law school and in terms of career prospects. I've never been to Thunder Bay but I'm assuming Windsor is the better city to live in during school (significantly closer to home, more things to do, better weather). 

Edit: Read your stats from your prior posts, with a 3.68 cGPA and 158 LSAT I would wait it out before making any decisions on schools. It's pretty early in the admission cycle and I wouldn't be surprised if you got into some other Ontario school(s).

Edited by gingerbeer

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Windsor is definitely better for social justice and government careers. Lakehead is only better if you want to work in rural areas/Northern Ontario.

Kobe
  • Law Student

Just want to say as someone who is also from the GTA be prepared for much worse winters in Thunder Bay. I spent a year of my life in Thunder Bay, I thought Toronto winters had me prepared and they certainly did not. Not that one should make a decision based on this but a consideration is which city you'd rather be, I find Windsor to have more to do and less brutal winters. 

I thought I would take this opportunity to provide a plug for Lakehead - a school that participants on this forum all too often discount. There are current and past students doing some exciting things. There are students with clerkships at all levels (I believe just recently we had our first grad with the SCC), students have positions on Bay Street, others have jumped right into private practice and many have landed public sector positions independently or through Lakehead's IPC program. 

In terms of location, Thunder Bay is a beautiful (but cold) city. The cold is very different than down south as winter days are usually sunny with blue skies and crisp. Thunder Bay and the surrounding region is spectacular for anyone that is keen to explore. If you are a homebody and not the get outside type then Windsor is most likely the spot for you. If you are keen to try new things whether it be cross-country/downhill skiing, rock climbing/ice climbing, snowshoeing and a whole host of other fun activities then Thunder Bay might become a place you don't ever want to leave.

The LSS and the TBLA have a great relationship which provides for fun student versus lawyer games of soccer, baseball, hockey and basketball. The great thing about these events is that they always have a social function afterwards. The law students also participate in a Law vs Med Games against the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. It is a very small school with 55 (ish) students in each year so you spend a lot of time together especially with the overloaded course schedule (6 courses a semester) to allow for the placement in third year. 

Nightlife is what you would expect from a town of 100,000+, there are a couple fun bars that everyone goes to and it is a very down to earth atmosphere. The restaurants are great.

The IPC program and your professional opportunities are really what you want to make of them coming out of school. There are placement positions available to students or they may seek out their own opportunities. These placements will help you get your foot in the door whether it be in the public sector or private. Students have done placements in various MAG offices across the province, others join regional firms, sole practitioners or not-for-profits and many students complete their placements with an offer for after they graduate. 

Lakehead Law is a new program - there are growing pains. The alumni base is growing. There are students who love Thunder Bay and there are those who use it as a stepping stone to get into other Ontario schools. There are students doing exactly what the program was created for and others following more unconventional paths. The choice is yours but I can confidently tell you that whatever you school you go to, you will be fine and you will find great opportunities and people along the way. Wishing you all the best OP.

• Like 5