French interview or just questions about my file?

ikand1399

ikand1399
  • Applicant

I just received an email from the admissions office at McGill that says they have "determined that it would be relevant to have a virtual meeting with you to ask you some questions about your file"

It does not mention French anywhere, but I am an anglophone applicant from NB who did mention taking French immersion for most of 12 years of school. I am just wondering if I should expect a French interview or if this is unrelated?

GreyDude
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, ikand1399 said:

I just received an email from the admissions office at McGill that says they have "determined that it would be relevant to have a virtual meeting with you to ask you some questions about your file"

It does not mention French anywhere, but I am an anglophone applicant from NB who did mention taking French immersion for most of 12 years of school. I am just wondering if I should expect a French interview or if this is unrelated?

From the way this is worded, "questions about your file," it sounds like a regular interview to me. 

• Like 1

Bananaman
  • Applicant

I got the exact same wording for my French interview in December. I'm not sure why they say it like that, but it is the French interview 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student

@ikand1399, it is likely best to disregard my opinion and listen to @Bananaman, since they have the experience I lack. Still, my suggestion (given your stated background—12 years of French immersion) is to prepare for both. But yeah, maybe they're just going to check your French. 

I'm sure many of us would be interested to know how it goes for you after it's done. 

Edited by GreyDude

db5864
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Bananaman said:

I got the exact same wording for my French interview in December. I'm not sure why they say it like that, but it is the French interview 100%.

Echoing this. It's definitely the French interview. 

1 hour ago, GreyDude said:

@ikand1399, it is likely best to disregard my opinion and listen to @Bananaman, since they have the experience I lack. Still, my suggestion (given your stated background—12 years of French immersion) is to prepare for both. But yeah, maybe they're just going to check your French. 

I'm sure many of us would be interested to know how it goes for you after it's done. 

McGill law's admissions is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. It seems like they check the French skills of anybody who learned French outside of Quebec. The good news is that @ikand1399 will have no trouble with it. The other good news is that they only interview folks who are otherwise qualified. I'd bet that you get an admission within a week.

Edited by db5864
  • Like 2

ikand1399
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Bananaman said:

Thank you, I suspected that is what it would be!

50 minutes ago, db5864 said:

Echoing this. It's definitely the French interview. 

McGill law's admissions is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. It seems like they check the French skills of anybody who learned French outside of Quebec. The good news is that @ikand1399 will have no trouble with it. The other good news is that they only interview folks who are otherwise qualified. I'd bet that you get an admission within a week.

Thank you, that is music to my ears! I have been brushing up just in case they didn't buy my French skills right away - hopefully it worked. I will post back with an update later!

ikand1399
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, GreyDude said:

It was a French interview through and through! I prepared as if it was going to be and think it went quite well. The questions were fairly easy and all had to do with me and my experience; focus was on French completely!

• Nom! 2

• 2 months later...
Sanama
  • Applicant

I too did my French Interview yesterday, it was very quick (15 min) and I was asked several questions to evaluate my level (you can answer in both English or French)

Anyone heard back after their French interview? How long did it take?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Laulau234
  • Applicant

How long did it take for you to hear back?

Edited by Laulau234