Attending Calgary but moving back to BC?

kkmarie

kkmarie
  • Applicant

Hi all, 

I have been accepted to Calgary and TRU but I am from BC and ultimately want to work in BC. I would love some insight from a Calgary grad or student that has made the move back to BC.

If I attend UCalgary will I be at a disadvantage when I make that transition back to BC after school? Or is it fairly straight forward?

I got accepted into TRU as well so I am trying to decide which is best. 

• Like 1

Ave
  • Law School Admit

Interested in knowing opinions on this topic as well! Thanks🙂 

Edited by Ave
  • Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I can't speak from any sort of personal experience, but from my observation this was fairly common and the BC students I know (perusing LinkedIn) all appear to have good articles. I think there was a van or bus rental for both a Vancouver firmhop and the formal recruit, but I don't know if that was organized by the career office or just the students on their own. I'd expect given the recruit stats that employers probably view UBC more strongly than Calgary, but I'd be surprised if they had a preference between TRU and Calgary.

AverageStudent2022
  • Articling Student

I can only speak to my experience in the Vancouver recruit rather than BC as a whole. With that said, I am a current Calgary law student that will be articling in Vancouver. Also, I have friends at both Calgary and TRU that will be articling in Vancouver. 

I would say from talking with those friends and from my personal experience, if you are going to participate in the formal Vancouver 2L recruit the same factors will apply for recruiters when assessing candidates from either school, with one minor exception – applying from Calgary you may need to demonstrate a stronger attachment to BC. But you said you are from BC, so I do not think this will be a problem. For both schools you will want a strong application package (i.e. CV, Cover Letter, grades). Specifically with respect to your grades, you will need at least a B+ average for most of the bigger national and regional firms in Van. 

Hope that helps. I can provide more detailed information if you directly message me! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, AverageStudent2022 said:

I can only speak to my experience in the Vancouver recruit rather than BC as a whole. With that said, I am a current Calgary law student that will be articling in Vancouver. Also, I have friends at both Calgary and TRU that will be articling in Vancouver. 

I would say from talking with those friends and from my personal experience, if you are going to participate in the formal Vancouver 2L recruit the same factors will apply for recruiters when assessing candidates from either school, with one minor exception – applying from Calgary you may need to demonstrate a stronger attachment to BC. But you said you are from BC, so I do not think this will be a problem. For both schools you will want a strong application package (i.e. CV, Cover Letter, grades). Specifically with respect to your grades, you will need at least a B+ average for most of the bigger national and regional firms in Van. 

Hope that helps. I can provide more detailed information if you directly message me! 

Specifically with respect to your grades, you will need at least a B+ average for most of the bigger national and regional firms in Van.

how about students from UBC .