In-house offer

Misfit

Misfit
  • Lawyer

Looking for an outside assessment on an offer I received to move in-house.

I'm currently a 2nd year call at a national. It's a medium-sized company. The role is generalist, but also involves advising in my niche area. The offer is currently 125,000/yr (~20% less than what I earn now on the new scale) with Defined Contribution Pension, matching, good benefits, bonus, and equity. I love the idea of having weekends free, but wondering if I should wait for an in-house job with higher starting salary, or if I'm crazy to walk away. I understand that salary increases in-house are incremental and I'd have to switch companies to get a sizable jump. I paid off my student loans last year, so that's no longer a concern.

Thanks!

Edited by Misfit

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer

Not bad for a 2nd year call. The generalist role isn’t ideal though as you won’t develop as much within your niche. 

• Like 2

Depends which city you're from. Here in Montreal, having followed that market very closely for a few years now, I can tell you that it would be a very good salary & conditions for a 2nd year call.

Obviously, your point is entirely valid - you can say goodbye to 10+% yearly increases on your comp. You will stay at 125,000 + more or less inflation for a few years, and opportunities are more scarce. 

Same goes for your training, you will certainly never get the same level of experience than you do in a national law firm. Plus, after making only two years in a national law firm, that experience will end up being anecdotic on your resume. 

The thing is, although the exits do improve each year you stay in a national law firm, the salary % of the salary cut is much greater, too. Plus, if you want to exit for a Director of legal affairs, GC / Assistant GC position or whatever, you'll need to stay for a while (senior associate / young partner). Anything below, you'll end up exiting for an in-house counsel position, too, and you won't significantly improve your exit by staying any longer.

Therefore, if you don't plan on sticking around for another 4-5 years in said national law firm, I say take it.

Edited by infoinfoinfo
  • Like 3

I think that answer is right for Toronto too, though maybe you could negotiate another 5-10K on top of that. Or maybe not. I'm more familiar with the big company market where $5K is not really that material in a big department and internal fairness is more important.

I don't think you'd need to stick with the firm for another 4-5 years to get a decent premium on that. More like 2-3, then you could probably get $170-$180K to start, including bonus, if you go to a large department.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, Jaggers said:

I think that answer is right for Toronto too, though maybe you could negotiate another 5-10K on top of that. Or maybe not. I'm more familiar with the big company market where $5K is not really that material in a big department and internal fairness is more important.

I don't think you'd need to stick with the firm for another 4-5 years to get a decent premium on that. More like 2-3, then you could probably get $170-$180K to start, including bonus, if you go to a large department.

How many years of post-call experience would you need to command $150K starting? 3?

Hard to say right now with salaries escalating. Maybe. 4 years would probably guarantee it. For a big company in Toronto.

Edited by Jaggers
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
jdavis
  • Lawyer
On 4/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, Jaggers said:

Hard to say right now with salaries escalating. Maybe. 4 years would probably guarantee it. For a big company in Toronto.

Sounds about right. First couple of years tends to be relatively close to big firm. Which is why most people bolt after 2-4 years. After that, it becomes tougher to go in-house, unless (a) you land in a large in-house department, such as a bank or insurance company, that will pay a premium for specialized skills, or (b) you're willing to take a sizable pay hit. (Which many are.)

An exception to that rule exists where you leave a firm for a client you work closely with. They already know you, and they'll reason that they're getting great value paying you $200K/yr rather than $700/hr. I know a junior partner who was her client's first in-house lawyer by making that exact pitch herself. Smart. For securities and corporate lawyers, it's also not uncommon for 15-20+ year partners to leave to be GC of a public company for large dollars.

As others have said, in-house raises come very slowly. Maybe 2-3%/yr. I know in-house lawyers (Toronto) making 150K at three years post-call, and some making the same 10-15 years post-call. Highly variable. The ones making 150K at 3-4 years tend to be new hires poached under the 'new' scale, to the consternation of older lawyers who took a decade to reach that number. More than a few in-house departments are being forced to review their pay scales in light of this.

Yeah, we have recently made some offers to new hires who, in order to entice them from the new pay scales at the big firms, will have a higher salary than their boss. Which is obviously not sustainable.

• Like 1