When is safe to start to assume the likelihood of acceptance is nearing nil?

secondcareer-er

Thewaitismuchtoolong
15 minutes ago, LilLawbb said:

Could you give me a general timeline (under review --> decision pending)? I want to psychologically brace myself. 

At least decision pending means they looked at your file! I recently learned "under review" is a misnomer. Good luck to us both!!

I applied October 11th in the discretionary category. My file was complete by the 28th. Application sat at forwarded to committee or some similar designation until around the first week of December then switched to under review until last Monday when is changed to Decision Pending. The part that kills me is I haven’t seen any discretionary acceptances online here except one with stats that would have had him accepted in the regular category. So, I don’t know whether they do acceptances in the category on a rolling basis (and essentially means ive been rejected) or if they review all applications first and then send out seats.

I wasn’t built for this stress, haha.

Best of luck to you my friend, my dates and designations may be way off but from what I remember that is essentially how it went down. Hope that helps ease the stress.

I would be hopeful that your still under review, in my mind it seems infinitely better then this “decision pending” which basically means wait five months to be put in the thousandth spot of the wait list.

edit: well, this is strange. I just checked my application and I am back under “application under review”. Bizarre. What a roller coaster, haha.

Edited by tdot1967
  • Sad 1

mjslava
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

edit: well, this is strange. I just checked my application and I am back under “application under review”. Bizarre. What a roller coaster, haha.

You’ve gotta be kidding me..

• Like 1

Thewaitismuchtoolong
1 minute ago, mjslava said:

You’ve gotta be kidding me..

Dead serious. I saw on the page that the system is undergoing maintenance this evening. Might just be a clerical problem. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, tdot1967 said:

OMG 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

LilLawbb
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, tdot1967 said:

I applied October 11th in the discretionary category. My file was complete by the 28th. Application sat at forwarded to committee or some similar designation until around the first week of December then switched to under review until last Monday when is changed to Decision Pending. The part that kills me is I haven’t seen any discretionary acceptances online here except one with stats that would have had him accepted in the regular category. So, I don’t know whether they do acceptances in the category on a rolling basis (and essentially means ive been rejected) or if they review all applications first and then send out seats.

I wasn’t built for this stress, haha.

Best of luck to you my friend, my dates and designations may be way off but from what I remember that is essentially how it went down. Hope that helps ease the stress.

I would be hopeful that your still under review, in my mind it seems infinitely better then this “decision pending” which basically means wait five months to be put in the thousandth spot of the wait list.

Thank you for such a detailed (and caring) reply. I really hope it was site maintenance that changed your status -- it's not fair otherwise!

When we all become big shot lawyers we should standardize the admissions process for the sanity of all prospective students. 

• Like 1

Thewaitismuchtoolong
1 hour ago, LilLawbb said:

Thank you for such a detailed (and caring) reply. I really hope it was site maintenance that changed your status -- it's not fair otherwise!

When we all become big shot lawyers we should standardize the admissions process for the sanity of all prospective students. 

No problem at all. I can’t imagine it could really go down any smoother than it already does. What they need to do is get rid of that pay to win test we all took.

Edited by tdot1967

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
19 hours ago, tdot1967 said:

Dead serious. I saw on the page that the system is undergoing maintenance this evening. Might just be a clerical problem. 

Ohh my tdot, I feel for you! Thank you for sharing your experience. I also saw that same person with high stats that could have been accepted in the regular category and was getting discouraged too. I'm beginning to think maybe discretionary category seats are not decided upon until later in the cycle because it is a bit odd I haven't seen any other discretionary acceptance posts. I'm now refusing to initiate plan B until April 30th, it's not over till it's over. 

Best of luck to us both my friend! 

Thewaitismuchtoolong
16 minutes ago, secondcareer-er said:

Ohh my tdot, I feel for you! Thank you for sharing your experience. I also saw that same person with high stats that could have been accepted in the regular category and was getting discouraged too. I'm beginning to think maybe discretionary category seats are not decided upon until later in the cycle because it is a bit odd I haven't seen any other discretionary acceptance posts. I'm now refusing to initiate plan B until April 30th, it's not over till it's over. 

Best of luck to us both my friend! 

Absolutely. Best of luck as well! Whats plan B? To be honest I'm pretty happy to be back under review. Im wondering if it is that discretionary get put in with the regular applications first, and now they are going over the actual discretionary applications. I really don’t know, haha. Thinking through all this is turning out to be a creative endeavour. Good exercise for the analytical reasoning I guess. Secondcaree-er, if we make it in the beer is on me! Haha

Edited by tdot1967

mjslava
  • Applicant
16 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

Secondcaree-er, if we make it in the beer is on me! Haha

What if only one of you makes it in?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Thewaitismuchtoolong
16 minutes ago, mjslava said:

What if only one of you makes it in?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Woah there, Mjslava! Not a possibility im currently willing to entertain. Lol.

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
55 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

Absolutely. Best of luck as well! Whats plan B? To be honest I'm pretty happy to be back under review. Im wondering if it is that discretionary get put in with the regular applications first, and now they are going over the actual discretionary applications. I really don’t know, haha. Thinking through all this is turning out to be a creative endeavour. Good exercise for the analytical reasoning I guess. Secondcaree-er, if we make it in the beer is on me! Haha

I'm planning to move to victoria anyway at the end of the summer (from Vancouver), take just a couple part time courses at UVIC while working part-time. Or if I find a great opportunity, work full-time for a year while I study to take the LSAT again and apply for next cycle! Rinse & repeat until I get in. 🙂

That could very well be the process! Haha yeah, a good mix of analytical reasoning practice and building the emotional fortitude to endure it. Ultimately I've had to surrender to the reality that I just don't know the inner workings of this process so all I can do is use this period to learn some dang patience and how to relinquish my need for control. 

I'll take you up on that invite for suuuure tdot! 

• Nom! 1

• 2 weeks later...
secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit

Has anyone else had a "Statement of Marks - GPA Eval" updated to their application recently? I'm hoping it means they are actually reviewing mine now 🙂

Thewaitismuchtoolong
3 minutes ago, secondcareer-er said:

Has anyone else had a "Statement of Marks - GPA Eval" updated to their application recently? I'm hoping it means they are actually reviewing mine now 🙂

Its my understanding they ask for official transcripts if they are considering offering a seat. Could be a good sign for you second chance! Best wishes, I went back to decision pending for the second time.

Patient0L
  • Law Student

Update: I’ve been accepted and my status STILL says “application under review.”

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Thewaitismuchtoolong
10 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Update: I’ve been accepted and my status STILL says “application under review.”

First, congratulations Patient! Hell yea! That kind of blows though. Hopefully they update your portal on Monday. Cheers!

• Hugs 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

First, congratulations Patient! Hell yea! That kind of blows though. Hopefully they update your portal on Monday. Cheers!

Thank you! I’m literally in shock having been checking the portal almost daily since September 1st.

Now I will commence checking my UBC (long shot) status 10x a day.

If it gives anyone any insight, I only have until March 25th to accept the offer and the website says that offers will go out  until mid-May… So, don’t get discouraged because this thing definitely isn’t over yet!

The waiting game is brutal. Good luck to you! I hope you get in!

• Like 2

Thewaitismuchtoolong
18 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Thank you! I’m literally in shock having been checking the portal almost daily since September 1st.

Now I will commence checking my UBC (long shot) status 10x a day.

If it gives anyone any insight, I only have until March 25th to accept the offer and the website says that offers will go out  until mid-May… So, don’t get discouraged because this thing definitely isn’t over yet!

The waiting game is brutal. Good luck to you! I hope you get in!

Thanks, patient. I wish you the best of luck in all the schools you are hoping to attend.

• Hugs 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
22 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

Thanks, patient. I wish you the best of luck in all the schools you are hoping to attend.

Thank you! Likewise! Keep us updated! 😊

• Hugs 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
On 2/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, secondcareer-er said:

I'm around 85% with drops & 158 LSAT, 69th percentile. Applied discretionary category December 4th, my application moved to "Application Under Review" a couple weeks ago. I have great references & work experience. I'm beginning to think it's safe to assume it's not happening if I don't hear back by the end of the month though, losing hope over here. Is that fair? 

Unless things have changed, when I applied for 2017,2018,2019 as discresionary the decisions werent made until May. 

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
10 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

Unless things have changed, when I applied for 2017,2018,2019 as discresionary the decisions werent made until May. 

Oh okay, I certainly hope that's the case this cycle too then. There have been some people who applied discretionary in the "accepted" thread who have been accepted but maybe they were considered under the regular category anyway? Who knows. Uvic has said offers go out till mid-may so now I'm now not giving up hope until then. Thanks for the reply though 

jessi
  • Applicant

There was a statement of marks that got added to my checklist. Does anyone know what that is?

amw26
  • Law Student

starting to lose hope lol

CGPA (With drops) : 3.7/4.33 (81%ish)

L20: 3.95/4.33 (86%)

LSAT: 160

I think if im lucky ill be waitlisted, thoughts?

Edited by amw26

Thewaitismuchtoolong
31 minutes ago, amw26 said:

starting to lose hope lol

CGPA (With drops) : 3.7/4.33 (81%ish)

L20: 3.95/4.33 (86%)

LSAT: 160

I think if im lucky ill be waitlisted, thoughts?

I have basically the exact same stats as you and applied discretionary. Im not holding out much hope, it seems like this is a hyper competitive application pool.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, jessi said:

There was a statement of marks that got added to my checklist. Does anyone know what that is?

I was just DM'ing with someone who got that message. It looks like a few people got it.

I have a call with admissions coming up and I'll see if they will give any info about what that means!

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
55 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I was just DM'ing with someone who got that message. It looks like a few people got it.

I have a call with admissions coming up and I'll see if they will give any info about what that means!

I had that updated on my list too! So if you could ask for us, that'd be awesome. Thank you