When is safe to start to assume the likelihood of acceptance is nearing nil?

secondcareer-er

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
5 hours ago, secondcareer-er said:

Oh okay, I certainly hope that's the case this cycle too then. There have been some people who applied discretionary in the "accepted" thread who have been accepted but maybe they were considered under the regular category anyway? Who knows. Uvic has said offers go out till mid-may so now I'm now not giving up hope until then. Thanks for the reply though 

yea i think if people apply discresionary but there stats are high enough for regular, they are admitted through the regular stream. Yea definitely dont give up hope, im almost certain that the discresionary applicants arent really dealt with until May 

• Like 1

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
On 3/7/2022 at 5:09 PM, Lilbb19 said:

yea i think if people apply discresionary but there stats are high enough for regular, they are admitted through the regular stream. Yea definitely dont give up hope, im almost certain that the discresionary applicants arent really dealt with until May 

Awesome, thanks so much for the support. I will do my best to not give up hope 🙂 At least people in the accepted thread are starting to roll in with basically identical stats as I have so that's exciting to know I'd at least be a contender in the running. I'm also glad I have strong work exp & reference letters. 

Thewaitismuchtoolong
33 minutes ago, secondcareer-er said:

Awesome, thanks so much for the support. I will do my best to not give up hope 🙂 At least people in the accepted thread are starting to roll in with basically identical stats as I have so that's exciting to know I'd at least be a contender in the running. I'm also glad I have strong work exp & reference letters. 

Your in my prayers second-career! Best of luck. I, however, just received a rejection letter. May have been the first of the cycle! Haha.

WestCoastBestCoast
  • Applicant

Sorry to hear. Best of luck to others. Saw your stats in the rejected thread - thanks for sharing. Good luck in future

Edited by WestCoastBestCoast

mjslava
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

Your in my prayers second-career! Best of luck. I, however, just received a rejection letter. May have been the first of the cycle! Haha.

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other applications. Hope other options come up for you.

amw26
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

I also just received a rejection letter 😞 best of luck to those still waiting. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, tdot1967 said:

Nooooooooo!!!! 😞 

Thewaitismuchtoolong
1 hour ago, mjslava said:

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other applications. Hope other options come up for you.

Thanks, i am in at TRU since February so its not the end of the world. I was looking forward to that beer though haha!

• Like 1

amw26
  • Law Student
51 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

Thanks, i am in at TRU since February so its not the end of the world. I was looking forward to that beer though haha!

I'm also in at TRU since November! See you in September!

• Hugs 1

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, tdot1967 said:

Aw jeeze, i'm sorry. thank you so much for letting us know. And that's great you got in at TRU!! this forum will just have to reconnect once we all pass the bar :)) 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Thewaitismuchtoolong
3 hours ago, amw26 said:

I'm also in at TRU since November! See you in September!

That’s great amw. Congratulations, lets not worry to much about uvic, haha. TRU looks like it will be swell.

• Like 2

Possum
  • Law School Admit

The waiting is the hardest part.

Now that rejection letters are coming out I'm not sure if I want to check in anymore.  It's a new level of anxiety.  I feel like no news is good news now?!?

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
7 minutes ago, Possum said:

The waiting is the hardest part.

Now that rejection letters are coming out I'm not sure if I want to check in anymore.  It's a new level of anxiety.  I feel like no news is good news now?!?

At this point yeah, i'd say so! Yesterday seeing that rejections had come out I was just glad I hadn't heard anything yet. Just to update this thread as well, I did end up getting accepted today 🙂 So lesson learned that it's really not over till it is! 

Edited by secondcareer-er
typo
  • Like 1

mjslava
  • Applicant

If you look at the Facebook groups for UVic law in the past few years, they’ve had around 300 members in each group. This year so far they only have 43. Lots of spots open. 

mjslava
  • Applicant

So it’s been about a week since any new offers were sent out on this site. Is it safe to assume that, like UBC, we should expect to wait until April after the acceptance deadline before hearing anything else?

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
42 minutes ago, mjslava said:

So it’s been about a week since any new offers were sent out on this site. Is it safe to assume that, like UBC, we should expect to wait until April after the acceptance deadline before hearing anything else?

They seem to like calling people on Thursday & Friday afternoons so it's still early to write off this week. 🙂 If there are no new offers this week (that we know about on this forum, at least!) then yeah, maybe not until there will have to be more spots after April 1st. It's not over till its over my friend, best of luck to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, mjslava said:

They gave me until March 25th (a Friday) to accept or decline, so I imagine they would call the next names on their list the week after this batch of offers expires.

good luck 🍀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mjslava
  • Applicant
27 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

They gave me until March 25th (a Friday) to accept or decline, so I imagine they would call the next names on their list the week after this batch of offers expires.

good luck 🍀 

4 hours ago, secondcareer-er said:

They seem to like calling people on Thursday & Friday afternoons so it's still early to write off this week. 🙂 If there are no new offers this week (that we know about on this forum, at least!) then yeah, maybe not until there will have to be more spots after April 1st. It's not over till its over my friend, best of luck to you!

Thanks y’all. So how exactly does this work? Did they make all of their initial offers (enough to fill a first year class) with a deadline of March 25th and then they fill the remainder of those who decline? Or do they usually just offer a set certain amount and then another set amount after March until spots fill up? 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, mjslava said:

Thanks y’all. So how exactly does this work? Did they make all of their initial offers (enough to fill a first year class) with a deadline of March 25th and then they fill the remainder of those who decline? Or do they usually just offer a set certain amount and then another set amount after March until spots fill up? 

I have no idea what goes on in the admissions office, but my knowledge about how people are chosen in the grant/fundraising world is that when there is a specific funding opportunity the committee comes up with a ranked list of candidates and they move down the list starting from the top giving out $ until it runs out. 

I would conjecture that seats in a 1L class would work something like that. They have a list, start offers at the top, check to see how many spots are left after each commitment deadline, keep moving down the list…

(Tho I imagine the one big difference is that people rarely refuse grant money.)

However that doesn’t really account for class composition. I assuming the list is a bit more malleable so they don’t end up with a class of all one race/gender/age/background/etc. 

This is all speculation but I do have some insight into the workings of similar committees.

• Thanks 1

secondcareer-er
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, mjslava said:

I really don't know tbh but just incase it helps to know, my offer letter gave me until April 1st to accept or decline. So maybe the accept-by dates are staggered based on when they are extended? And maybe they will still continue to be extended on rolling basis until the mid-May cut off. Lots of speculation too, just my best guess. 

elle.woods
  • Law Student

If it helps at all, I think the accept-by-deadlines are staggered/different - I was accepted November 23 and have until March 31 to accept. 

Philosophy
  • Law Student

I was accepted Nov. 23rd and had until March 31st to accept.

I declined my offer today so best of luck to the next person in line!  

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, Philosophy said:

I declined my offer today so best of luck to the next person in line!  

Was it because the Dean’s breakfast was so boring? 

• LOL 2