Green Party slowly imploding......

MOL

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer

I'm not so sure it's 'slowly' happening; how long has May be gone now about a year? I wonder if she was basically the bubble gum holding the thing together or if she regrets leaving now...

• Like 2

Kurrika

In a copy of the allegation of non-confidence obtained by Global News, its authors alleged Paul “has acted with an autocratic attitude of hostility, superiority and rejection.”

It also accused her of “failing to develop a collaborative working relationship, failing to engage in respectful discussions, and failing to use dialogue and compromise.”

“She has attended few council meetings, and when in attendance, has displayed anger in long, repetitive, aggressive monologues and has failed to recognize the value of any ideas except her own, acting in a manner not in compliance with the leader’s role and responsibilities,” read the letter.

Asked about the contents of this letter on Wednesday, Paul said she “was not aware that letter was in the possession of anyone outside of the room.”

The comment came as the answer to one of just three questions total that she took from reporters during the press conference. She also criticized one reporter, who was pushing for clarity, about the “tone” he was using.

"I was not aware anyone had it, and am so naive, that I didn't think that after I accused it of being a racist document that it wouldn't be immediately fucking leaked to the press".

Edited by Kurrika

Kurrika

Criticizing the political reporters is the fucking kiss of death.  There is no group more thin skinned than them.  They will be out for her head from now on.

• Like 1

MOL
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, HammurabiTime said:

I'm not so sure it's 'slowly' happening; how long has May be gone now about a year? I wonder if she was basically the bubble gum holding the thing together or if she regrets leaving now...

A year is a long time in politics. I was never convinced of May's political instincts either. What a shit show.

• Like 1

luckycharm

I won't be surprised if she will form a new party within a year or sooner.    

QueensDenning
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, luckycharm said:

How did she become the leader of a party that is "racist and sexist"?

You haven't heard? If your not white and/or female in Canadian politics, anyone who doesn't like you is racist and sexist...

Edit: not trying to say there is no racism in politics, but this accusation seems pretty baseless... 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Sad 1

MOL
  • Lawyer

Another take, more positive for Ms. Paul

From the Globe article

"Granted, Ms. Paul has work to do. She handled the discord within her party clumsily, and it goes without saying that a senior adviser cannot publicly vow to purge party heretics without the leader articulating a clear response. Her decision to run in the staunchly Liberal riding of Toronto Centre, too, effectively broadcast that she was not interested in having a seat in the House of Commons at all.

But if Ms. Paul can find a way to calm the internal conflicts in her party – and if the Greens can shelve the self-sabotage until after the next election – Ms. Paul could emerge as something of a force. The Liberals, in the interim, will be walking a tightrope on Israel-Palestine thanks to their ephemerally exciting new caucus member. After Ms. Paul’s attack, and Ms. Atwin‘s embarrassing backtrack, the Liberals have likely already put the balloons and confetti away."

epeeist
  • Lawyer
18 hours ago, MOL said:

If someone genuinely believes that Freeland by her presence/words/actions helps protect Trudeau from legitimate criticism regarding his behaviour/actions/words, then it's fair and not anti-feminist to call her a shield (even if one disagrees, I don't think the accusation is automatically out of bounds or anti-feminist). I mean, was it anti-black to have a headline calling Ben Carson a human shield for Trump? E.g. https://www.salon.com/2019/07/18/ben-carson-donald-trumps-faulty-human-shield-against-accusations-of-racism/

If someone called VP Harris a shield for Biden against his racist or sexist history (along with the now federal holiday Juneteenth, which I welcome), I might well object if the person also explicitly diminished her accomplishments. But the argument itself is not per se anti-feminist or anti-POC.

• Like 2

BHC1
  • Lawyer

This party should be Canada's voice for the environment and the fight against climate change, instead it's descending into parochial irrelevance. Absolutely pathetic. 

epeeist
  • Lawyer
39 minutes ago, BHC1 said:

This party should be Canada's voice for the environment and the fight against climate change, instead it's descending into parochial irrelevance. Absolutely pathetic. 

In one sense I agree, in another, any national or would-be national party needs to have positions on a multitude of issues. Not just say e.g. "if it doesn't relate to the environment, we have no position, and anyone in our party can hold any position, including ones that others consider racist, sexist, anti-LGBT, etc." [NOT a quote, a hypothetical]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Pantalaimon
  • Articling Student

It just keeps on going...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/green-party-seeks-to-overturn-arbitrator-s-ruling-to-call-off-paul-s-non-confidence-vote-1.5518169

The arbitrator ordered on July 15 that a non-confidence motion would not proceed before the party’s general meeting in August and that the party must post this update to its website.

• Like 2