Hours of work / expectations?

Deepbluee

Deepbluee
  • Articling Student

Hi all!

I have recently started articles and would love some feedback of what are the expectations in regards to billing / hours of work?

Usually what does this look like or expected of from an articling student?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Deepbluee said:

have recently started articles and would love some feedback of what are the expectations in regards to billing / hours of work?

Expectations vary WIDELY based on

• area of practice
  • type of firm
  • size of firm
  • type of clients
  • firm culture
  • other stuff

For example, the expectations of an articling student at a criminal defense firm is significantly different from the expectation of an articling student at a firm that mostly does residential real estate.

Anecdotally, I'm articling in business law (small to medium sized local businesses), commercial real estate, and conveyancing. I'm expected to work 45ish hours a week (more if something comes up) and don't have a billable hour target.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

Some good info above, but two questions:

1. Did you have that discussion at any point with your articling principal before you started? (I assume not?); and

2. What type of firm/area of law? As @canuckfanatic said, the expectations can vary widely.

Without the info above, as a starting proposition I would docket/track all of your time working on files and the firm can then decide what to bill the clients. 

Edit: You can also ask them directly what, if any, the expectations are about docketing/billing. I would frame it as a question about docketing rather than hours worked, as some work will be non-billable and you don't want them to think you're just looking for a time you're allowed to leave each day. 

Edited by Vizslaw
No reason to not ask the firm directly. :)