Things that piss me off

almostnot

almostnot
  • Lawyer

WTF VSB

Now I have to spend tonight wondering if I’m turning into a conservative middle aged woman or if this is as horrible as it sounds. 

The Vancouver School Board is cutting honours courses in math and science in its high schools because the school district says they do not comply with the equity and inclusion goal of ensuring that all students can participate in every aspect of the curriculum.

The school board says teachers will instead be encouraged to teach to individual students’ capabilities, including those who excel at math and science. (Honours courses in English were phased out over several years.)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-vancouver-school-board-phases-out-honours-programs-in-high-schools/

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

meandtheboys
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, almostnot said:

WTF VSB

Now I have to spend tonight wondering if I’m turning into a conservative middle aged woman or if this is as horrible as it sounds. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-vancouver-school-board-phases-out-honours-programs-in-high-schools/

This seems like a horrible move that disproportionately affects brighter kids from middle or lower income families.  Not everyone is privileged enough to send their kid to an IB or AP private school or they just might not live close enough to a public school that has those programs, so this really sucks.  

They might as well get rid of sports too, since not everyone is tall or fast enough to fully participate 🙄

• Like 4

Well that's just stupid. Why would you ever want to remove the option to challenge yourself and learn more.

• Like 1

Kurrika

B.C.'s Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner has just released an Order which shines a light on how, more than three years after being fired, former Vancouver School Board trustee, Patti Bacchus, is still haunting the staffers she bullied while in office.

Released on September 22nd, 2020, the Order was authored by an adjudicator, Layli Antinuk, who headed up an inquiry related to a matter involving an applicant trying to gain access to the confidential notes contained in a 2017 investigation.

The Order doesn’t name the applicant, but Glacier Media has cross-referenced information in it, confirming that it was former Vision Vancouver trustee Patti Bacchus.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/opinion/patti-bacchus-privacy-commissioner-order-2020-2760151

Kurrika

She’s gets to keep publishing in the Georgia straight because her husband was a Vancouver reporter and she’s also the heir to Balfour properties.

Pantalaimon
  • Articling Student

While I'm not sure precisely what the Honours programs entail (the quick googling I did only describes it as doing 3 years of math in 2 years), there has been a general trend towards de-streaming in the middle school ages. I'd imagine it's supported by some research?

LittleVeggie

My eldest's school did this with AP classes. They found that the class was predominantly one racial background, and students from another few backgrounds would never participate. Mainly because students from those backgrounds were streamed in such a way from elementary school that it made it impossible for them to do so from an academic standpoint. So in an effort to make the school more inclusive they stopped offering the courses entirely.

You know, instead of reaching out to students from said backgrounds as they enter high school and counselling them, offering them opportunities and encouragement for academic advancement that other people in their lives might not be encouraging them to pursue if they show aptitude. Nope. Just cut the program. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

Gamgee
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, Kurrika said:

Vsb got rid of Grades until grade 9 as well I think.

I can see how grades that early don't really matter, but isn't their importance more for milestones of improvement? I assume they want kids to improve in areas they're struggling, grades act as a pretty good benchmark for that purpose .. what would you even replace it with.

• Like 2

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
12 hours ago, Kurrika said:

The Vancouver school board has a long history of stupidity and incompetence.

You can't really blame them. Many of them attended Vancouver area schools.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Kurrika
49 minutes ago, Gamgee said:

I can see how grades that early don't really matter, but isn't their importance more for milestones of improvement? I assume they want kids to improve in areas they're struggling, grades act as a pretty good benchmark for that purpose .. what would you even replace it with.

A student proficiency scale for each subject area (in relation to grade level expectations):

BEGINNING to acquire knowledge, skills, strategies and processes

DEVELOPING the ability to apply knowledge, skills, strategies and processes

APPLYING knowledge, skills, strategies and processes consistently

EXTENDING knowledge, skills, strategies and processes creatively and strategically.

There is no correlation between letter grade and proficiency scale. The proficiency scale shows where the student is presently at and provides details about what they can do to progress.”

MOL
  • Lawyer

E ticket rides were the best at Disneyland....

I have yet to see any benefit to the whole IB/AP thing beyond maybe/possibly challenging super bright kids. We were encouraged to put the Spawn into them but demurred because the cost/benefit wasn't there. They weren't going abroad for university and the extra workload would have prevented them from being kids. 

• Like 1
  • Nom! 2

Gamgee
  • Law School Admit
59 minutes ago, Kurrika said:

A student proficiency scale for each subject area (in relation to grade level expectations):

BEGINNING to acquire knowledge, skills, strategies and processes

DEVELOPING the ability to apply knowledge, skills, strategies and processes

APPLYING knowledge, skills, strategies and processes consistently

EXTENDING knowledge, skills, strategies and processes creatively and strategically.

There is no correlation between letter grade and proficiency scale. The proficiency scale shows where the student is presently at and provides details about what they can do to progress.”

Sounds like grades just renamed to me

I feel it's more informative to clearly know when you're falling behind (i.e. C,D,F) than the feedback just saying you're stuck on BEGINNING forever. Maybe the benefits of this format outweighs the cons 🤷‍♂️

LittleVeggie
3 hours ago, MOL said:

E ticket rides were the best at Disneyland....

I have yet to see any benefit to the whole IB/AP thing beyond maybe/possibly challenging super bright kids. We were encouraged to put the Spawn into them but demurred because the cost/benefit wasn't there. They weren't going abroad for university and the extra workload would have prevented them from being kids. 

The benefit to AP was that it was offered free of charge at the local high school my kids are/will attend depending on which cretin we are talking about. If I have to pay for it then no thanks, but it the option to take AP Math was essentially the same as taking Advanced/University/Whatever the Ontario MoEd is calling it these days was in front of them and they had the aptitude then why not, I figured.

Now that it isn't a choice I won't be seeking it out. It just seemed a silly way to address inequity issues to me.

samii
  • Law School Admit

Another benefit (although I didn't bother to use it) was that AP/IB courses could be used towards course credits in university. Useful if you want to study or move out of Canada because of transferability, but within Canada it's pretty pointless. I've spent a lot of time trying to convince my sibling to do the Ontario curriculum courses over AP/IB because the latter add unnecessary stress and work. But I guess the 'challenge' or ego-boost might be worth it to some. 

The decision to cut honors classes seems like a huge burden on teachers. It must be difficult enough to teach one curriculum, now one teacher has to devise individual plans for 20-30 high school kids? Might be a good idea for class sizes of around 5.... teachers need to be paid more 🙄 

meandtheboys
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, samii said:

but within Canada it's pretty pointless

I wouldn't say it's completely pointless--I got 18 credits through IB which let me do 3 years of undergrad instead of 4 before starting law school.  But then again, it's not for everyone and it isn't something I would jump to recommend.

Renerik
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, meandtheboys said:

I wouldn't say it's completely pointless--I got 18 credits through IB which let me do 3 years of undergrad instead of 4 before starting law school.  But then again, it's not for everyone and it isn't something I would jump to recommend.

Yea, I got 30 credits to both universities I applied to and substantial entrance scholarships because I got a 34?/45, not that high of a score. Ended up losing the scholarship but it was totally worth the credits 🙂.

epeeist
  • Lawyer

Cell phone dying, trying to log in to do banking on laptop = verification text or call to cell phone to log in, or call to work number where I was not because working at home... 🤬

Then going online to quickly find an unlocked (transfer sim card, easy) phone with good review available in-store that's in stock at a close store and not too expensive because no time to do extensive comparison and feature shopping for a flagship phone, going for value (I chose moto g power). Yeah, first world problems...

realpseudonym
  • Lawyer

Excerpt from my daily interaction with the worst form of communications technology imaginable: 

"First new voice message: Hi realpseudonym, my name is Jo[gishh]senjen. I'm calling from the Registry at the [gisshhh] in [gish]ton about [gisshhhhhhh]. Please give me a call back at 4162[gisshhhhhhhhh]7. Thanks!"

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS INFORMATION

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Jaggers

Well, this is quite something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/us/politics/khashoggi-saudi-kill-team-us-training.html

Four Saudis who participated in the 2018 killing of the Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi received paramilitary training in the United States the previous year under a contract approved by the State Department, according to documents and people familiar with the arrangement.

The instruction occurred as the secret unit responsible for Mr. Khashoggi’s killing was beginning an extensive campaign of kidnapping, detention and torture of Saudi citizens ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler, to crush dissent inside the kingdom.

The training was provided by the Arkansas-based security company Tier 1 Group, which is owned by the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management. 

• Sad 1

Not piss me off so much as make me beyond sad. 

Near instant collapse of damn near 50% of a high-rise in Miami at 1:30am this morning. Death toll unknown but it took out 80 or so occupied units, most likely occupied, chance of survival is absolute remote. 100 unaccounted for at present.

I'm part of an online engineering community and we are discussing failure mechanisms right now. A few ideas but there is no definitive evidence as yet, though it seems likely based on some video footage of the collapse that failure mechanism started at the foundation.

Seeing the picture of the bunk beds on the 12th story completely exposed...just not right. 

Articles / Collapse

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9720381/Eleven-story-Miami-Beach-apartment-building-collapses-sparking-huge-search.html

DIN4GQQDAVGUXNAM6OMDCJ4XKA_sr3wwv.jpg

miami-building.webp

Rescue Effort

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article252326838.html

merlin_189826542_ed965539-b772-48ee-b80f

Edited by AllanC
  • Sad 1