Robson Hall Experiences & Opinions

LilLawbb

LilLawbb
  • Applicant

Could any Robson Hall students share their law school experiences with me? I am wondering whether the legal education is worth the cold! 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably anyone who has recently attended Robson Hall (the last three years) is going to have extremely mixed feelings, and also experiences that don't necessarily reflect what the faculty is usually like.

Robson's been offering courses remotely since March 2020, has had three deans in three years, and has been impacted by an almost-faculty strike and an actual strike. So that's been disruptive and weird, to say the least.

That being said, here's some quick pros and cons from my experience:

Pros:

• Generally a kind, supportive faculty, who really seem invested in education
  • It's a relatively relaxed (as much as a law school can be) and supportive atmosphere
  • Lots of opportunities for experiential learning, especially in third year (moots, legal clinics, clerkships for course credit, externships at places like the Manitoba Law Reform Commission and the Public Interest Law Centre)
  • Relatively affordable tuition (~12K, with fairly accessible students bursary programs) and cost of living in Winnipeg
  • Pretty nice facilities (when in person is allowed!)
  • Two U of M student counsellors dedicated specifically for law students - easy to access direct, personal mental health support
  • A truly excellent team of librarians
  • As of next year, opportunity to take 1/3 of courses in French and get a Concentration in Access to Justice in French (if that's your thing)

Cons:

• Admin sort of in disarray these last few years (as mentioned above), and lots of faculty turnover lately 
  • Probably due in part to staffing issues (although I'm just speculating), a somewhat limited course offering in certain areas
  • Campus is nice but it's far from downtown - like a 45 min bus ride or 20 minute drive (in good traffic)
  • Not a lot of emphasis on social events, beyond formal events like Carbolic Smoke Ball and end of term parties

Odds and Ends:

• Careers office is mainly connected to Manitoba legal community (obvi), Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Western Ontario. If you're hoping to work elsewhere after graduation, it's not that there's no connections, but you'll have a bit of an uphill battle trying to network
  • Currently, a lot of focus on course offerings in business law, less options in some other areas (e.g. immigration)
  • Like 3

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
21 hours ago, nana said:

Probably anyone who has recently attended Robson Hall (the last three years) is going to have extremely mixed feelings, and also experiences that don't necessarily reflect what the faculty is usually like.

Robson's been offering courses remotely since March 2020, has had three deans in three years, and has been impacted by an almost-faculty strike and an actual strike. So that's been disruptive and weird, to say the least.

That being said, here's some quick pros and cons from my experience:

Pros:

• Generally a kind, supportive faculty, who really seem invested in education
  • It's a relatively relaxed (as much as a law school can be) and supportive atmosphere
  • Lots of opportunities for experiential learning, especially in third year (moots, legal clinics, clerkships for course credit, externships at places like the Manitoba Law Reform Commission and the Public Interest Law Centre)
  • Relatively affordable tuition (~12K, with fairly accessible students bursary programs) and cost of living in Winnipeg
  • Pretty nice facilities (when in person is allowed!)
  • Two U of M student counsellors dedicated specifically for law students - easy to access direct, personal mental health support
  • A truly excellent team of librarians
  • As of next year, opportunity to take 1/3 of courses in French and get a Concentration in Access to Justice in French (if that's your thing)

Cons:

• Admin sort of in disarray these last few years (as mentioned above), and lots of faculty turnover lately 
  • Probably due in part to staffing issues (although I'm just speculating), a somewhat limited course offering in certain areas
  • Campus is nice but it's far from downtown - like a 45 min bus ride or 20 minute drive (in good traffic)
  • Not a lot of emphasis on social events, beyond formal events like Carbolic Smoke Ball and end of term parties

Odds and Ends:

• Careers office is mainly connected to Manitoba legal community (obvi), Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Western Ontario. If you're hoping to work elsewhere after graduation, it's not that there's no connections, but you'll have a bit of an uphill battle trying to network
  • Currently, a lot of focus on course offerings in business law, less options in some other areas (e.g. immigration)

Thanks for doing this nana! I really appreciate your thoughtful input.

Any chance you (or other UMan alum), could tell us where the best on-campus parking is for law students? Is there typically a lottery for those lots?

Also, what are the best buildings to live near the law building? I prefer something quiet, and newer construction if possible. Ideally, with a decent gym in the building, and coffee shop and restaurant options right downstairs. 

Any intel on where are the best public tennis courts are in Winnipeg? Any other important insider information would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Thank you! 

Edited by pinsandneedles
  • Like 1

helpmepls
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, pinsandneedles said:

Thanks for doing this nana! I really appreciate your thoughtful input.

Any chance you (or other UMan alum), could tell us where the best on-campus parking is for law students? Is there typically a lottery for those lots?

Also, what are the best buildings to live near the law building? I prefer something quiet, and newer construction if possible. Ideally, with a decent gym in the building, and coffee shop and restaurant options right downstairs. 

Any intel on where are the best public tennis courts are in Winnipeg? Any other important insider information would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Thank you! 

I’m not too sure about apartments near the university but I live in the centre of   downtown in a new build with a gym. There is lots of green space at the ledge and right near the river walk to the forks. Tons of bike baths and a couple public tennis courts right off the river trail. Everything is within walking distance and there’s tons of coffee shops everywhere. I’m from Winnipeg and I’m going to be staying downtown instead of moving closer as it’s pretty easy to bus down to the university from here. I have a lot of friends that live downtown and bus to the University rather than drive because it’s easier + parking is really hard to find and it’s expensive.

• Like 1

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, helpmepls said:

I’m not too sure about apartments near the university but I live in the centre of   downtown in a new build with a gym. There is lots of green space at the ledge and right near the river walk to the forks. Tons of bike baths and a couple public tennis courts right off the river trail. Everything is within walking distance and there’s tons of coffee shops everywhere. I’m from Winnipeg and I’m going to be staying downtown instead of moving closer as it’s pretty easy to bus down to the university from here. I have a lot of friends that live downtown and bus to the University rather than drive because it’s easier + parking is really hard to find and it’s expensive.

Hi helpmepls,

Great stuff! Thank you for the info.

Personally, I'd like to try and stay as close to campus as possible. However, I am open to being further out if the neighborhood is better, as it seems you are suggesting.

I'm just not big on long commutes or public transportation. I don't mind a bit of extra cost in exchange for time savings. I think nana said the university is a 20min drive away from downtown in good traffic. I currently live a 2min drive from work and an 8min drive from campus in the city I'm currently in, so I've probably been a bit spoiled. Haha.  

Anyhow, I'm hoping to find a great building within a 5min walk or drive to the law building. If driving, ideally I'd like to get parking in a lot that is really close to the law building.

All that being said, I do like living a great downtown lifestyle as well. Hopefully law school won't be so intense that I can't enjoy the occasional night out. I'm open to suggestions! I know next to nothing about Winnipeg. Do you mind sharing the name of the building you're in and some details of what you like about it? How is the rental inventory these days in Winnipeg? How far in advance should one start looking for a condo?

Thank you!  

Crosstrek
  • Law Student

@pinsandneedles The law building is at the very back of campus. All of the campus dorms are definitely more than a 5 min walk to the law building. Same with all the student parking lots. If you’re living off campus, the closest apartments are at least a 20-30 min walk from the law building (closest are on Markham road or at intersection of Pembina and Bison Drive). Condos are probably a bit farther since UofM is surrounded by apts for students. Honestly you might need to adjust your expectations…. 

11 hours ago, pinsandneedles said:

Also there is definitely no building fulfilling all of these within the UofM area. 

Message me if you have any questions!! 

• Like 2

RobsonHallHopeful
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Crosstrek said:

@pinsandneedles The law building is at the very back of campus. All of the campus dorms are definitely more than a 5 min walk to the law building. Same with all the student parking lots. If you’re living off campus, the closest apartments are at least a 20-30 min walk from the law building (closest are on Markham road or at intersection of Pembina and Bison Drive). Condos are probably a bit farther since UofM is surrounded by apts for students. Honestly you might need to adjust your expectations…. 

Also there is definitely no building fulfilling all of these within the UofM area. 

😢 I was hoping that nice parking lot behind Robson Hall was student parking. Looks like lot Q is the closest since L or B aren't an option.

• Like 1

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
10 hours ago, Crosstrek said:

@Crosstrek This is some solid intel. Thank you for taking the time to lay this all out.