Mahmud Jamal named to Supreme Court

Jaggers

Jaggers

Big news today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mahmud-jamal-supreme-court-1.6069406

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has nominated the Honourable Mahmud Jamal as the next member of the Supreme Court of Canada.

"I know that Justice Jamal, with his exceptional legal and academic experience and dedication to serving others, will be a valuable asset to our country's highest court," Trudeau said in a media statement.

The fully bilingual Justice Jamal was appointed to the Court of Appeal for Ontario in 2019 and appeared in 35 appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada on civil, constitutional, criminal and regulatory issues.

The first person of colour to be nominated to Canada's top court, he also taught constitutional law at McGill University and administrative law at Osgoode Hall Law School.

Jamal will replace Justice Rosalie Abella, currently the longest-serving Supreme Court justice, who will retire from the court on July 1, her 75th birthday.

• Like 19

Mountebank
  • Lawyer

A little crazy to think that it's 2021 and he will be the first POC appointed to the SCC. I mean, Justice Marshall was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1967. That's 54 years ago ffs! Still, exciting though.

Anyone know anything about Justice Jamal's judicial record? I'm assuming he's not as far out there as Justice Abella.

• Like 2

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
12 minutes ago, Mountebank said:

A little crazy to think that it's 2021 and he will be the first POC appointed to the SCC. I mean, Justice Marshall was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1967. That's 54 years ago ffs! Still, exciting though.

Anyone know anything about Justice Jamal's judicial record? I'm assuming he's not as far out there as Justice Abella.

He is not. He was at one of the Bay street firms, I believe Osler, for a long time before being selected for the Court of Appeal a few years ago so his body of decisions isn't super large. I've had reason to read a few, none of which addressed particularly politically charged subjects but I found them to be thoughtful and analytically rigorous.

ZineZ
  • Lawyer

I'm reading through Justice Jamal's questionnaire and it's impressive (as expected).

I love the fact that he decided to include the three summers he worked at a bookstore at West Edmonton Mall under his employment history.

• Salesclerk, Classic Bookshop, West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta, summers 1983, 1984, and 1985

Edited Link: https://fja-cmf.gc.ca/scc-csc/2021/nominee-candidat-eng.html

Edited by ZineZ
Corrected the link!
  • Like 2
  • Nom! 4

Jaggers
30 minutes ago, HammurabiTime said:

He is not. He was at one of the Bay street firms, I believe Osler, for a long time before being selected for the Court of Appeal a few years ago so his body of decisions isn't super large. I've had reason to read a few, none of which addressed particularly politically charged subjects but I found them to be thoughtful and analytically rigorous.

Yeah, he was at Osler. He was on the OCA for less than two years. 

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

I'm reading through Justice Jamal's questionnaire and it's impressive (as expected).

I love the fact that he decided to include the three summers he worked at a bookstore at West Edmonton Mall under his employment history.

• Salesclerk, Classic Bookshop, West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta, summers 1983, 1984, and 1985

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-justice/news/2021/05/the-honourable-mahmud-jamals-questionnaire.html

It's very impressive. I see some things listed as 'up coming' that are dated in 2016:

"Presentations:

1. "Ethical Issues in Class Actions", Class Actions for Litigators, Law Society of Upper Canada, November 15, 2016 [upcoming]"

I wonder if he submitted the same material he used when applying to become a judge for ONCA.

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, HammurabiTime said:

It's very impressive. I see some things listed as 'up coming' that are dated in 2016:

"Presentations:

1. "Ethical Issues in Class Actions", Class Actions for Litigators, Law Society of Upper Canada, November 15, 2016 [upcoming]"

I wonder if he submitted the same material he used when applying to become a judge for ONCA.

I was actually wondering if he submitted this questionnaire when the application process first opened up:

• Under the new judicial application process introduced by the Minister of Justice on October 20, 2016, any interested and qualified Canadian lawyer or judge may apply for federal judicial appointment by completing a questionnaire. 

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

I was actually wondering if he submitted this questionnaire when the application process first opened up:

• Under the new judicial application process introduced by the Minister of Justice on October 20, 2016, any interested and qualified Canadian lawyer or judge may apply for federal judicial appointment by completing a questionnaire. 

That would make much more sense if they carry them forward. Although it would be far funnier and a bigger flex if he submitted outdated materials and still got the job.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I think Jamal is an excellent jurist and a great choice, although he’s obviously a very fast appointment to the top court. He’s thoughtful and intellectually honest, which I think are the two key attributes of appellate judges. 

@ZineZ, you’ve linked to his prior questionaire. The current one is here

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 4

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think Jamal is an excellent jurist and a great choice, although he’s obviously a very fast appointment to the bench. He’s thoughtful and intellectually honest, which I think are the two key attributes of appellate judges. 

Oh, thanks! I'll edit my link. My apologies, @HammurabiTime

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think Jamal is an excellent jurist and a great choice, although he’s obviously a very fast appointment to the bench. He’s thoughtful and intellectually honest, which I think are the two key attributes of appellate judges. 

Thanks for the updated link! The mini-essays at the end are a good read.

Barry
  • Law School Admit

Happy about the diversity, but it would have been nice to have a woman of colour for even more balance given there will likely only be one more seat available for many years to come, and even better an Indigenous person. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2

Hopefully an indigenous judge is among the next wave of considerations. This was an excellent choice.

• Like 7

Jaggers
3 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think Jamal is an excellent jurist and a great choice, although he’s obviously a very fast appointment to the top court. He’s thoughtful and intellectually honest, which I think are the two key attributes of appellate judges. 

He did five summers at four different firms (including one obviously in labour law). Impressive!

BlackRod
  • Lawyer

I was hoping that Jamal J.A. would be nominated for Abella J.'s seat. He is an excellent judge. His judicial and written prowess are on clear display in Duffy v. Canada (Senate), 2020 ONCA 536.

Hopefully Moldaver J. will be replaced by an Indigenous woman.

• Like 1

almostnot
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, BlackRod said:

I was hoping that Jamal J.A. would be nominated for Abella J.'s seat. He is an excellent judge. His judicial and written prowess are on clear display in Duffy v. Canada (Senate), 2020 ONCA 536.

Hopefully Moldaver J. will be replaced by an Indigenous woman.

JWR?! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, almostnot said:

JWR?! 😂 

Doubtful her Liberalist score is high enough post-SNC.

BlackRod
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, almostnot said:

JWR?! 😂 

I was thinking more along the lines of Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond. Though I suppose some may say that her Ontario connection may not be sufficient at this point.