"Police Misconduct" thread not showing up in activity, post history, or searches

CleanHands

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I noticed this while initially looking for, and then after posting in, the "police misconduct" thread. It appears that posts in that thread are not showing up in the activity feed, post history on user profiles, or through the search function. Perhaps this is the case for the "politics" subforum more broadly, I haven't tested that. I had to manually go to the subforum and then thread from the home page.

Not sure if this is just on my end, or whether it's purposeful, but I found it very weird. And since people aren't generally going to click through subforums to manually check for new posts to threads when the feed exists, it will have the effect of killing any affected threads I would imagine.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

It shows up for me!

Edit: to clarify, it shows up in the recent activity feed. Not on your user profile, interestingly.

Edited by Pantalaimon
  • Thanks 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Just now, Pantalaimon said:

It shows up for me!

Thanks. Very weird; I noticed that @epeeist's post there shows up on the "recent posts" on the right side of the home page for me, but again the same post does not appear in the activity feed or @epeeist's post history on his profile, for me.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Thanks. Very weird; I noticed that @epeeist's post there shows up on the "recent posts" on the right side of the home page for me, but again the same post does not appear in the activity feed or @epeeist's post history on his profile, for me.

I misspoke. By activity feed I thought you meant the recent posts box, because I've never looked at the actual feed before. I'm seeing the same as you - recent posts yes, user profiles & activity feed no.

• Thanks 1

epeeist
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

What, you mean my posts about how wonderful the police are and we can trust them explicitly* may not readily be found by investigators?

*Note: trusting "explicitly" rather than "implicitly" is a reference to a discussion in a Nero Wolfe story.

• Nom! 1

31 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I noticed this while initially looking for, and then after posting in, the "police misconduct" thread. It appears that posts in that thread are not showing up in the activity feed, post history on user profiles, or through the search function. Perhaps this is the case for the "politics" subforum more broadly, I haven't tested that. I had to manually go to the subforum and then thread from the home page.

Not sure if this is just on my end, or whether it's purposeful, but I found it very weird. And since people aren't generally going to click through subforums to manually check for new posts to threads when the feed exists, it will have the effect of killing any affected threads I would imagine.

Thanks for flagging this. It’s not intentional. I’ll look into it. For what it’s worth, it shows up for me in people’s profiles / post history. 

• Thanks 1

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

When I went to open the thread this morning to read the newest posts I got an error message saying that I needed at least 20 reputation to view and post in the politics subforum. Was this filtering in the activity feed was something that happened when that change was made?

Thankfully the convoy thread is now in law news so I can continue scrolling through it with my popcorn.

GGrievous
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, aurora borealis said:

When I went to open the thread this morning to read the newest posts I got an error message saying that I needed at least 20 reputation to view and post in the politics subforum. Was this filtering in the activity feed was something that happened when that change was made?

Thankfully the convoy thread is now in law news so I can continue scrolling through it with my popcorn.

Piggybacking on this thread just to voice my dissatisfaction in what I think is a far too strict thread locking policy.

We have had a rash of people registering just to shit post in contentious threads. We are working on how to address it. 

As with the old forum, this is primarily a resource community - people are expected to contribute to the law related stuff to help out applicants and students and other counsel in addition to enjoying their daily robust debate. 

• Like 4

I am too old and far removed to be of any help to applicants. I do contribute to some of the career threads as well as just yelling at people about housing and road tolls.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Ryn said:

@CleanHands I think I fixed it. Can you check to see if the thread is now in your feed?

Sorry; I appreciate your efforts but nothing appears to have changed on my end.

12 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Sorry; I appreciate your efforts but nothing appears to have changed on my end.

OK I think I actually fixed it this time. I tested it on another account and I saw the posts.

• Thanks 1