TRU IS RESCINDING OFFERS

studentoflaw

studentoflaw
  • Articling Student

Posting for a friend who was offered admission on April 9th. Paid their deposit shortly after. They just got a call from TRU saying that TRU has OVERBOOKED THEIR CLASS and was calling to RESCIND THEIR OFFER, and that an official email from the Dean would follow. This is absolutely fucked. Can they do this??? 

Edited by studentoflaw
sp
  • Sad 9

Thrive92
  • Applicant

The vibe I get from this school is really messed up now.

Why not grant deferrals for the next cycle? Why rescind?

• Like 2

LMP
  • Law Student

I heard some mutterings about a lawsuit? I don't know how serious it is but it'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

I don't see why they can't just do what Uottawa did and create more seats. 

1 hour ago, Thrive92 said:

The vibe I get from this school is really messed up now.

Why not grant deferrals for the next cycle? Why rescind?

They are offering deferrals for next year (or a waitlist for this year, but realistically there’s not much chance of that moving much).

But people have already quit jobs, signed leases.. it’s pretty significant to have such a big plan suddenly cut short.

• Like 1

pickme101
  • Law Student

Have they already made their calls? now I'm paranoid 😐 

I feel horrible for people who have had their offer taken back 😞 

Edited by pickme101

3 minutes ago, pickme101 said:

Have they already made their calls? now I'm paranoid 😐 

I feel horrible for people who have had their offer taken back 😞 

From what I know, there are a few more calls tomorrow. But it sounded like these were people who they’d already tried to call and couldn’t get ahold of. It’s based on when people accepted their offers—those who paid their deposit at the end of April. 

Edited by Abc321
  • Sad 1

Byakkosan
  • Law Student

Hopefully, the students can start a class action, and sue to have their law school tuition covered 

Renerik
  • Law Student

In a different thread yesterday I mentioned that the med school cycle was more of a clown fiesta than law school applications. I'd like to retract that statement. My drawing pad came just in time...

image.png.2c58e948898926f8ca65c99b27bbf4ec.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 8

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Abc321 said:

They are offering deferrals for next year (or a waitlist for this year, but realistically there’s not much chance of that moving much).

But people have already quit jobs, signed leases.. it’s pretty significant to have such a big plan suddenly cut short.

If this news is true, then man, I feel terrible for these students especially. This is gonna seriously screw over some folks' life plans...

• Sad 2

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
27 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

If this news is true, then man, I feel terrible for these students especially. This is gonna seriously screw over some folks' life plans...

If you look at the discord it’s been confirmed. As of right now it looks like it’s 42 students who have been put on a special waitlist. If they don’t get off it this year they have admission next year. 

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, HarryCrane said:

If you look at the discord it’s been confirmed. As of right now it looks like it’s 42 students who have been put on a special waitlist. If they don’t get off it this year they have admission next year. 

Man, this is gonna be devastating for at least some of those 42. All because of administrative incompetence.

historicaladvantage
6 hours ago, studentoflaw said:

Posting for a friend who was offered admission on April 9th. Paid their deposit shortly after. They just got a call from TRU saying that TRU has OVERBOOKED THEIR CLASS and was calling to RESCIND THEIR OFFER, and that an official email from the Dean would follow. This is absolutely fucked. Can they do this??? 

That is horrendous. Could definitely lead to a class action settlement. 

Toad
  • Lawyer

That's fucked up.

By this time in June in 2018 when I was preparing to attend U of A I had already moved provinces, quit my job, signed a new lease, used some of my LOC to get basic furniture, and was around a month away from having my fiance move here with me.

If the U of A did this to me I would have been in a pretty terrible situation. I'm not even sure how Scotiabank would handle the situation with my LOC.

It's strange that they aren't trying to accommodate as many people as possible. They are already probably set up for online classes because of COVID. They could theoretically use the extra $800,000 in tuition they are bringing in from the over enrolment to have a one year class size increase using a combination of in person and online teaching.

• Like 4

Moomee
  • Law Student

Yep can confirm. Got my call last night and my friend the other day (but she missed the call and was unaware of her 'new' status).

I told the caller, Stefani, absolutely not. I would not accept them rescinding a binding agreement. They made an offer. I accepted. Consideration was exchanged. For those in the law field, that's called a binding contract. Furthermore there is nothing in the offer that indicates they may withdraw their offer at whim. Bizarre that I will  have to give a course on contracts 101 to the Dean of the Law School when we chat. I will be notifying the Kamloops media - Kamloops needs more news wouldn't you think...

Yes, a class action lawsuit would be a lovely start to 1L.

Once upon a time a similar event happened at UOttawa - system error of sorts that doubled their offers. They, as a standup establishment, honoured all of the offers and have kept double enrolment since (I may be off on the numbers but you get the drift that they did the right thing).

TRU is a disgrace. Shameful. Life disrupting etc. They even had an already used built-in solve: online courses.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Renerik
  • Law Student

If you're a BC resident I'd call/write to your local MLA/MP (Not legal advice! Just a totally regular thing totally regular people do). They'd be interested in knowing how this displeases you as one of their constituents. 

Edited by Renerik

Moomee
  • Law Student

Not a BC resident. Moving from Ontario so it is pretty life altering and devastating news.

I've already emailed the Editor at the local Kamloops newspaper. They too might be interested in the displeasure.

Since TRU is probably not first choice for many they probably are gambling that no one turned down another offer from somewhere else. They would be the ones totally screwed. We, who got the lucky call, are just partially screwed.

• Sad 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, Moomee said:

local Kamloops newspaper.

TRU will never financially recover from this.

Joking aside, I can't see them sweeping this under the rug. The repercussions, in my ignorant and uninformed eyes, from rescinding offers will be greater than whatever may happen from expanding the 2024 class size.

• Like 1

LMP
  • Law Student

As I said before, I don't see why they can't just increase the number of seats for this year.

But putting even that aside, why don't they do what the American schools who have overbooked their classes do. Offer anyone who want to deffer a year certain incentives. This way people who've made huge changes in their lives can still attend and those who have more flexibility can opt to delay a year and receive some sort of financial incentive. 

• Like 2

Cinnamongal
  • Law Student

So I know people will have differing opinions about this, but I 'may' have told a CBC News Executive who I'm very close to about this whole fiasco, and they are going to try to get the story out with CBC (at least with the Kamloops base). All I can say is that this Executive Producer does have quite a bit of influence in getting new stories out there, but we can't promise it will actually do anything. 

• Like 2

AllRise
  • Law Student

I find myself flabbergasted that this could happen and feeling extreme empathy for those poor 42 people. Is there any precedent for this happening in the past? Has another school ever rescinded offers before? 

• Like 1

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student

Uh oh spaghettio. They couldn't increase the class size by 42? That feels like it'd be an inconvenience at most. 

Sympathies for those having to deal with this during what should be a celebratory time. 

• Like 1

Hastings
  • Law Student

This is absolutely insane to me. I have lost all respect I had for this school. I was also called but missed the call, woke up to a call from Kamloops and wondered why I would be getting a call from that area. Thankfully I have JUST accepted an offer from another school but my TRU offer was rescinded as well. Accepted April 1st. Paid my deposit mid-April. 
Does anyone know if there are ways we can write a letter or reach out to the school somehow? We should not be allowing this to happen to ourselves or our fellow applicants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
24 minutes ago, AllRise said:

I find myself flabbergasted that this could happen and feeling extreme empathy for those poor 42 people. Is there any precedent for this happening in the past? Has another school ever rescinded offers before? 

Ottawa once missed a bunch of applications, ended up reviewing them later and admitted anyone who would have been admitted if their application had been reviewed on time.

As far as I know, that’s the closest  we’ve come to anything like this. Ottawa didn’t rescind any offers though, they just increased their class size substantially. Offhand, I want to say their class size went up 50, maybe closer to 100.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1