Law Firms response to Russia Invasion

DannyFinn

DannyFinn
  • Law Student

Hey,  im a student going through big law recruitment at the moment.

I just saw some stuff on social media saying that Norton Rose sent a memo to its lawyers saying not to comment on Russia-Ukraine war (even on private social media or in social situations).  TBH this really turns me off from them and would factor into my decision. (link to report: https://www.thelawyer.com/norton-rose-fulbright-issues-firmwide-ban-on-ukraine-commentary)

I would appreciate if any other firms you work for/have heard also released similar memos. Thanks. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

NRF Canada has appeared to repudiate any guidance from this memo. Just one of the issues when dealing with a verein firm. I'm sure Dentons has similar issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

NRF Canada has appeared to repudiate any guidance from this memo. Just one of the issues when dealing with a verein firm. I'm sure Dentons has similar issues.

813074182_ScreenShot2022-02-28at11_11_14AM.thumb.png.0e1f950a79fc403cbacbc775783a37e2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DannyFinn
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Turtles said:

Meanwhile Dentons has people in harm's way and is calling for "grace and understanding".

Lol all that's needed at this moment is a short public statement that clearly and unequivocally supports the Ukrainian people over Putin's senseless agression. 

I really just want to work somewhere that isn't afraid of losing money from Russian oligarchs smh...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
happydude
  • Lawyer
On 2/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Turtles said:

Meanwhile Dentons has people in harm's way and is calling for "grace and understanding".

image.thumb.png.b82dde355e5edeceb3ef105a405ae031.png

I am just seeing this now, and boy oh boy, is that message pathetic. Did Dentons offer any subsequent announcements since? If not, I consider them a joke firm, regardless of their reputation.

• 3 weeks later...
Ruthless4Life
  • Lawyer
On 3/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, happydude said:

I am just seeing this now, and boy oh boy, is that message pathetic. Did Dentons offer any subsequent announcements since? If not, I consider them a joke firm, regardless of their reputation.

Since PRC is their major base, taking a stand will put their Asia practice in big damage.