Chances of getting accepted/waitlisted? NB resident, 159 LSAT / 3.62-4.0 GPA after drops

Lawschoolhopeful12

Lawschoolhopeful12
  • Applicant

Hi there,

Anyone think my chances of getting in are solid or no? I am trying to figure out where I stand. I ended up deciding pretty late to try for Law School this cycle and started studying in November and got the 159 on the January LSAT. My GPA dropping my bottom 25% of course credits is a 3.62/4, with a 3.65/4 last two. Anyone know how this would translate to a 4.3 scale however? I have numerical grades too as I went to Memorial University in NL for my undergrad in business, accounting & finance specifically. I currently work a job as an accountant at a relatively large and successful company that I am sure the admissions people are familiar with. I was able to get two recommendation letters from my profs, with both coming from unrelated academic disciplines. Thought this would help to show some versatility in my education skills. In my personal statement I mostly talked about my aspirations and strengths, including coming back from a rough first year to eventually achieve high placements by the end of my degree. I think I made it solid in terms of presenting my strengths and perseverance but it probably wont be viewed as anything crazy. Any hopes? UNB is the only school I applied to as I don't want to leave NB for the time being. I am originally from NB as well so I am hoping this helps. Regardless, thanks for anyone who responds!

mj1995
  • Applicant

To translate on a 4.3 scale redo your GPA but count your A+ as 4.3 if you don't have an A+ then your GPA is the same make sure thats what UNB uses otherwise you can set up a ratio: Let x = GPA on 4.3 scale and y = GPA on 4.0 scale x/4.3 = y/4.0

Edited by mj1995

Lawschoolhopeful12
  • Applicant

What if my university didnt have A+ or any of those for that matter? It was just A/B/C/D and that was it. That changed the dynamic too in terms of getting certain marks.

mj1995
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Lawschoolhopeful12 said:

What if my university didnt have A+ or any of those for that matter? It was just A/B/C/D and that was it. That changed the dynamic too in terms of getting certain marks.

Then use the second point I gave you which is conversion so here 3.65/4 = x/4.3

0.9125(4.3)=3.92375

x=3.92

Edited by mj1995
  • Like 1

Lawschoolhopeful12
  • Applicant

Thank you! Sounds like I should at least be competitive then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mj1995 said:

Then use the second point I gave you which is conversion so here 3.65/4 = x/4.3

0.9125(4.3)=3.92375

x=3.92

This will be incorrect.

They only use this:

Letter grade               A+     A     A-       B+    B    B-     C+    C      C-      D      F

Grade point               4.3     4      3.7     3.3    3   2.7    2.3    2       1.5     1       0

You need to convert each individual grade.

Edited by NowOrNever

mj1995
  • Applicant
14 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

This will be incorrect.

They only use this:

Letter grade               A+     A     A-       B+    B    B-     C+    C      C-      D      F

Grade point               4.3     4      3.7     3.3    3   2.7    2.3    2       1.5     1       0

The user wrote that their school does not have A+ system. If you read fully above so it is not incorrect. 

mj1995
  • Applicant

You might want to email them and confirm to make sure. I was unaware schools did not have an F-A+ system. Either way best of luck to you.

Edited by mj1995

Lawschoolhopeful12
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, NowOrNever said:

This will be incorrect.

They only use this:

Using this metric I guess my GPA would be the exact same since the grades were only 4.0, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 but just on a 4.3 scale instead which doesn’t even really make sense to me cause then the GPA would be deflated even though the systems are totally different. Hope this isn’t the case. 

10 minutes ago, Lawschoolhopeful12 said:

Using this metric I guess my GPA would be the exact same since the grades were only 4.0, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 but just on a 4.3 scale instead which doesn’t even really make sense to me cause then the GPA would be deflated even though the systems are totally different. Hope this isn’t the case. 

Check with Wanda.

• Like 1