Hireback for 1st year associates

dakine505

Hi everyone, 

Was just wondering when articling students are made aware if they will be hired back to the firm. Any insight would be much appreciated.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

At the big firms in Toronto, I would say most folks hear back some time in April with a few outlier firms giving offers in late March. 

• Like 1

Randomdude
  • Lawyer

On a related topic, have any firms announced whether they'll be paying articling students a bonus this year?

I believe most Bay St firms paid their articling students a $5k bonus last year, but wasn't sure if that was a one-off

14 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

Are we allowed to post here if we know a firm has announced? 

Not sure, but I don't think it is a good idea

Edited by luckycharm
  • Like 1

pepesilvia
  • Articling Student
24 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

Not sure, but I don't think it is a good idea

Nevermind then! But I think bigger firms have begun announcing so that should answer your question OP.

Randomdude
  • Lawyer
51 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

Nevermind then! But I think bigger firms have begun announcing so that should answer your question OP.

As in offers have already been made?

15 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

Are we allowed to post here if we know a firm has announced? 

I don’t see why not. On the previous forums, it was standard that people would post/comment on hireback. 

bebebebebe
  • Lawyer
On 3/19/2022 at 10:30 PM, Randomdude said:

As in offers have already been made?

The two that I am aware of have fully hired back, so I assume everyone at those firms knows that they've received offers (as there is no one to reject...)

Randomdude
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, bebebebebe said:

The two that I am aware of have fully hired back, so I assume everyone at those firms knows that they've received offers (as there is no one to reject...)

Thanks for sharing! I didn't even know firms had already finished hirebacks. (I initially thought that @pepesilviameant firms had announced the day they would make offers)

Are you able to share the firms that have?

• 4 weeks later...
bebebebebe
  • Lawyer

NALP number are trickling in so PrecedentJD should start to update soon as well, but in case anyone was curious here it is:

Aird & Berlis: Seeking 8 / Offered 7

Dale & Lessman: Seeking 2 / Offered 2

Deeth Williams Wall: Seeking 1 / Offered 1

Fasken: Seeking 16 / Offered 16

Lenczner Slaght: Seeking 8 / Hired 6 / Additional associates hired outside of articling program 1 / Clerked students 1 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
easttowest
  • Lawyer
On 3/14/2022 at 10:28 PM, Randomdude said:

On a related topic, have any firms announced whether they'll be paying articling students a bonus this year?

I believe most Bay St firms paid their articling students a $5k bonus last year, but wasn't sure if that was a one-off

Likely a one-off tied to the bonuses that went out to all the associates (which I haven’t heard a peep about for this year).