Tuition for 2022

nitzy

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Hey all,

I know that the U of A had proposed a substantial tuition hike to take effect this coming year (originally mid 40% hike but then reduced to 29% hike I believe). I was just wondering if anyone had any information or updates on when that hike can be expected to be confirmed/implemented? 

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit

Hey! I looked into this about a week ago. Some digging led me to this page: http://www.ualberta.ca/law/eti-proposal.html ... Which is now suspiciously taken down. I bookmarked it so I know this was the page explaining the tuition increase proposal. I'm kicking myself because I thought I took a screenshot! But if I remember correctly, the original proposal was that tuition would be increased from $11,701.48 (before non-instructional fees, which are estimated at $1902.42 and also books) by 45% to $16,967 before non-instructional fees. The webpage that is now taken down was from the end of summer 2021 and it detailed the more recent proposal discussions, which was to cut the tuition increase by a bit. I can't remember the exact number, but I know that AFTER non-instructional fees it totaled something like $17,000. I have no idea what happened to the webpage and again I'm kicking myself for not screenshotting it, but I hope this is somewhat helpful nonetheless!!

Edit to add: so yeah, the most recent information I could find before the webpage was taken down was that it would be that 29%ish increase in tuition. I hope they give more solid information soon because I'm sure this is a major factor in choosing schools for many people.

Edited by PsychologicalBug
  • Like 2

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Ah okay, sounds like you saw the same thing I did. I would really appreciate a firm amount so I can make an informed decision...fingers crossed it is announced soon?

• Like 2

This morning I read an article that the Alberta government has approved a tuition hike for 2022, but it didn't have specific numbers. Sounds like it's going to be a substantial increase.

• Like 1

nitzy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Crocheti said:

This morning I read an article that the Alberta government has approved a tuition hike for 2022, but it didn't have specific numbers. Sounds like it's going to be a substantial increase.

Oh, lovely. 

• Like 1

Tall Dutch Girl
  • Applicant

Yes, I just read an article stating the same: University of Alberta students facing steep tuition hikes — as much as double — in a dozen programs (msn.com). It sounds like a 29% increase in tuition for law.

Edited by Tall Dutch Girl

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Sigh.

Well... maybe they will be extra generous with scholarships this year??? 😞

Lawyerup36
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Tall Dutch Girl said:

Yes, I just read an article stating the same: University of Alberta students facing steep tuition hikes — as much as double — in a dozen programs (msn.com). It sounds like a 29% increase in tuition for law.

Yep! It was just on the morning news as well! It’s so hard for students, definitely have to consider costs associated in compared to other universities you don’t do the huge increase. U of A has done massive jumps the last few years. It’s so sad that some people may not be able to attend because of it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nitzy said:

Sigh.

Well... maybe they will be extra generous with scholarships this year??? 😞

Here's hoping. I've been frustrated with not getting a scholarship offer with my 3.91 and 168 while seeing people receive offers with lower numbers. Now that I'm going to be paying so much more, I really hope they make good on the claim that they'll be offering more scholarship money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Crocheti (btw, I recently took up crochet and it's been really doin' it for me, hope thats where you got the name from), did you submit your application for the professional entrance scholarships? I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is where most of the scholarships awarded will come from? I remember reading that those tend to be awarded starting around July. 

Edited by nitzy

2 hours ago, nitzy said:

Crocheti (btw, I recently took up crochet and it's been really doin' it for me, hope thats where you got the name from), did you submit your application for the professional entrance scholarships? I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is where most of the scholarships awarded will come from? I remember reading that those tend to be awarded starting around July. 

Lol it's not from crochet, unfortunately, just a shortened version of my last name.

No, I haven't submitted any scholarship applications. My impression from the forums was that the ones people are currently being offered are entrance scholarships offered automatically based on LSAT scores and GPA.

I will look into those applications, thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 AM, Crocheti said:

Here's hoping. I've been frustrated with not getting a scholarship offer with my 3.91 and 168 while seeing people receive offers with lower numbers. Now that I'm going to be paying so much more, I really hope they make good on the claim that they'll be offering more scholarship money.

u dont need to get a scholarship to get good funding. in 1L I got over 10K, 2L and 3L i got 16K/year all from bursaries. 

• Like 1

nitzy
  • Law School Admit
9 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

u dont need to get a scholarship to get good funding. in 1L I got over 10K, 2L and 3L i got 16K/year all from bursaries. 

Are these ones that you got through the professional entrance and transfer scholarship application or is there someone else one can apply?

LawWizard
  • Applicant

It's confirmed that the 2022 year will be the 15k before fees figure. They just approved the changes provincially I believe. I was afraid that this was an increase from the figure that I saw when I was comparing schools but I think actually the website listed the tuition as 15k on the website when I was applying in sept/oct. So if you saw that sticker price when you were looking, that is the price to expect for this year, and that price is 15k before fees and books. 

• Like 1

Radio_Edit
  • Law School Admit

The website listed the old figure until just recently, I think. Now it's updated.

Quote:

Estimated annual tuition & fees for Canadian Juris Doctor students is approximately $18,597.26 per year.

2022 First Year
Tuition: $15,094.84
Books: $1600
Non-Instructional Fees: $1902.42
Total Estimate: $18,597.26

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jd/tuition-and-fees.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
6 hours ago, nitzy said:

Are these ones that you got through the professional entrance and transfer scholarship application or is there someone else one can apply?

Its just the standard "supplementary bursary application" through u of a that you can apply for anytime during the school year. The process used to be separate for law, but its just one application now. 

Edited by Lilbb19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
20 hours ago, Radio_Edit said:

The website listed the old figure until just recently, I think. Now it's updated.

Quote:

Estimated annual tuition & fees for Canadian Juris Doctor students is approximately $18,597.26 per year.

2022 First Year

I hate it lol

• Like 2

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
On 3/13/2022 at 5:36 PM, Radio_Edit said:

Quote:

2022 First Year

oh my God it went from 11k to 19k BYE 

Renerik
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, brokenegg said:

oh my God it went from 11k to 19k BYE 

Not quite. You're comparing the 2021 tuition cost vs the 2022 total cost.
image.png.c7634740873a2e19870eea84c0be0ca8.png

image.png.bcfc80c740c76ecd1e2ecb971d28aeaf.png

The difference isn't 8k/yr, but closer to 3.4k/yr.

• Like 4

Whist
  • Law Student

Would also like to add that that’s probably a bigger book budget than you need. Even if I had bought all new it would’ve been $900-ish, but you can easily get stuff used from the 2Ls or even 3Ls selling theirs. I believe it wound up more like $300 for me. 

• Like 4

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
17 hours ago, Renerik said:

Not quite. You're comparing the 2021 tuition cost vs the 2022 total cost.
image.png.c7634740873a2e19870eea84c0be0ca8.png

image.png.bcfc80c740c76ecd1e2ecb971d28aeaf.png

The difference isn't 8k/yr, but closer to 3.4k/yr.

oop youre right, my bad