Jump to content

Rejected 2022


amw26

Recommended Posts

amw26
  • Law Student

I will swallow my pride and start this thread. Got the letter just now via email. 

 

LSAT: 160

CGPA (with drops): 3.7/4.33 (81%)

L20: 3.95/4.33 (85%)

 

Applied in October, application complete Nov 1. 

Pretty bummed but it was expected, I have been accepted into another school so it isn't the end of the world for me. Best of luck if you're still waiting.

Edited by amw26
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

lollins
  • Applicant

swallowing my pride with you @amw26, I just got the letter right now as well.

LSAT: 163

CGPA: 3.5/4 (without drops)

L20: 3.75 

application complete by late October. 

good luck to everyone else waiting and see y'all next cycle!

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thewaitismuchtoolong

Thankful I was not the only one. Sorry everyone!

discretionary applicant

3.71 ish gpa without drops

3.9 last two years give or take

160 lsat

 

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funtimesinthemaritimes
  • Law School Admit

Also received a rejection letter today, been expecting this one for a while. 

 

discretionary applicant

no BC connection

3.60 ish gpa without drops

161 lsat

Application completed in October.

 

Fortunately was accepted to my top choice around November so I wouldn't have been accepting regardless. Goodluck to everyone!

 

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legalboi
  • Law Student

Rejected today also 👎

Lsat - 163

Not sure of my cgpa with drops, its about a 3.5 without drops.

luckily accepted everywhere else I applied so it doesn’t sting as much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

law lady
  • Law School Admit

Rejected yesterday. Sorry to everyone in the same boat!

Discretionary applicant

GPA: 3.7 L2: 3.9

LSAT: 153 

Not surprised about the rejection but disappointed as I would've loved to attend UVic

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legalboi
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, diggity said:

Might I ask how you received this news? Was it via email or a mailed letter? 

It was via email.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, FranksRedHot said:

Rejected today via email

Applied discretionary

3.8 GPA, 159 Lsat

This seems insane what was your discretionary reasons and did you provide documentation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FranksRedHot
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, justnivek1 said:

This seems insane what was your discretionary reasons and did you provide documentation?

It was a physical medical issue that was recently resolved (hopefully), so won't affect law school. Several documents were provided in support of my discretionary status. Very strong reference letters as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rejected today by email, went to junk so double check your junk mail for any emails from schools:

CGPA 3.01

LSAT 156

Although I've been out of school for 5 years and have been working full time and volunteering since I was 18 and all that fun jazz they did let me know that my application just wasn't strong so obviously my CGPA and probably L2 (which I don't know but ball parking 3.6/3.7 but don't know with drops, complicated transcript) and LSAT. Shot to the heart at another rejection but we keep going.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

Rejected today by email.

cGPA: 3.3-3.5 (this is a massive guess, I have a complicated transcript)

LSAT: 163

Unique EC's and legal work experience.

I shouldn't have applied in the regular category, so I've expecting this for a while. Still hurts. 🥲

Edited by fettuccinealfredo
Edited to add extra info
  • Hugs 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probablynot

It looks like the rejections are mostly of discretionary applicants; I wonder if this is a situation where  UVic is more rejecting these applications as not qualifying for discretionary? This is one of those schools that doesnt consider discretionary applicants in the general category (I believe), but also has pretty strict criteria for discretionary candidates. Anecdotally it seems like a massive number of students apply discretionary with potentially questionable explanations... 

 

I only say this as it looks like some of these rejections have stronger apps than some of the admits at UVic so far. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thewaitismuchtoolong
1 hour ago, Probablynot said:

It looks like the rejections are mostly of discretionary applicants; I wonder if this is a situation where  UVic is more rejecting these applications as not qualifying for discretionary? This is one of those schools that doesnt consider discretionary applicants in the general category (I believe), but also has pretty strict criteria for discretionary candidates. Anecdotally it seems like a massive number of students apply discretionary with potentially questionable explanations... 

 

I only say this as it looks like some of these rejections have stronger apps than some of the admits at UVic so far. 

 

I can provide some overall thoughts to what I think lead to my rejection. It may be all of the above, some of the above, or none:

Overall, I can’t see myself not qualifying as a discretionary applicant — my application to the category was based on coming from abject poverty in my childhood and having adhd. I wrote about how during the first few years of my undergrad, I had to work full-time to support myself and this lead to my low 3’s gpa. I also spoke about how I didn’t treat my disability or have proper study habits during the time at all. I pointed to my upper year gpa in the 3.85+ range to show that I had overcome some of my earlier challenges and that I believe, now, I could be a sucessful law student.

 

What i think happened:

First, prior to my application one of my undergraduate professors told me uvic is deeply oriented to social justice and affirmative action. This became apparent in the application as I had to write that I was Polish, Scottish, and Male, along with my sexual orientation in the little questionnaire — why this matters, or is even an appropriate question to ask in an application is beyond me. Im not explicitly saying they favour visible minorities in their discretionary pool, but I'm not exactly ruling it out either— the signs all seem to be there.

Probably the more realistic reason was my application was just shit tbh. Out of all the BC schools, Uvic’s format was the most bizarre. The personal essay was only allowed to be 750 words and then they wanted a point form section following it with anything else they should know. On top of both these there was some other questionnaire they wanted handed in but there wasn’t even a proper format to fill it out with. I ended up just sending in a word document but, at best, it felt a bit janky.

 

In my LSAT writing I wrote three concurrent sentences starting with “likewise”. And I know there was at least a few mistakes across my application as a whole. 
 

finally, I wrote UVIC admissions the friday before I was rejected asking basically if all the discretionary applications had gone out. They replied that admissions is ongoing and that they had not. Come Monday at 11 am, I was rejected. Maybe they could tell i was getting impatient and just cut me loose.

 

Who knows really🤷‍♀️

 

 

Edited by tdot1967
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Allthebest
  • Law Student
58 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

It looks like the rejections are mostly of discretionary applicants; I wonder if this is a situation where  UVic is more rejecting these applications as not qualifying for discretionary? This is one of those schools that doesnt consider discretionary applicants in the general category (I believe), but also has pretty strict criteria for discretionary candidates. Anecdotally it seems like a massive number of students apply discretionary with potentially questionable explanations... 

 

I only say this as it looks like some of these rejections have stronger apps than some of the admits at UVic so far. 

 

When I spoke to admissions last week, I was told that discretionary applicants are considered in the general category if their statistics are strong enough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, tdot1967 said:

then they wanted a point form section following it with anything else they should know.

I believe that the point-form "Part B" was actually supposed to be a resume/CV. At least that is how I read it/filled it out.

  • Nom! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thewaitismuchtoolong
2 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I believe that the point-form "Part B" was actually supposed to be a resume/CV. At least that is how I read it/filled it out.

This makes sense a lot in hindsight — haha, like i said the whole application was shit. In contrast, TRU explicitly asked for a resume in their special consideration category. Opposed to whatever this monstrosity was:

“In Part B, using bullet point format only, list any other activities or achievements that you want the Admissions Committee to know about. You may wish to include your academic achievements, employment experiences, extra-curricular endeavours, community involvement, or other life experiences or personal attributes that you have not previously highlighted in your application”

This part wasn’t even the worse bit though, it was the “Discretionary Supplementary Form”.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probablynot
7 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I believe that the point-form "Part B" was actually supposed to be a resume/CV. At least that is how I read it/filled it out. 

Unless I am way off, this was not the intention. It was an opportunity to write a few additional things relevant to your application that didn't fit in the PS. If they wanted a resume and work experience, they would have stated to provide a list of your experience. I took it as an opportunity to put accomplishments, characteristics, and extenuating circumstances. I could definitely be wrong, but a law school would ask for a CV if they wanted a CV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

“In Part B, using bullet point format only, list any other activities or achievements that you want the Admissions Committee to know about. You may wish to include your academic achievements, employment experiences, extra-curricular endeavours, community involvement, or other life experiences or personal attributes that you have not previously highlighted in your application”

 

 

10 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

I took it as an opportunity to put accomplishments, characteristics, and extenuating circumstances. I could definitely be wrong, but a law school would ask for a CV if they wanted a CV

I gave a bulleted resume and also significant accomplishments in those jobs (and I got in). 

  • Like 1
  • Nom! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

Unless I am way off, this was not the intention. It was an opportunity to write a few additional things relevant to your application that didn't fit in the PS. If they wanted a resume and work experience, they would have stated to provide a list of your experience. I took it as an opportunity to put accomplishments, characteristics, and extenuating circumstances. I could definitely be wrong, but a law school would ask for a CV if they wanted a CV

I literally added bullet points to my CV, pasted the words "Part B" over "curriculum vitae" and submitted it. 😂

I was eager to add a CV, however, because I felt it would be the strongest part of my application.

Uvic does does a bunch of webinars on their application process every October. I missed them because I submitted my app prior to knowing about this, but I think it is probably worth a watch if you are looking evaluate your application critically to perhaps apply again?.

 

 https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/eventsandwebinars/index.php

 

Sorry it didn't work out for you this time around, btw. 😞

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probablynot
9 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I literally added bullet points to my CV, pasted the words "Part B" over "curriculum vitae" and submitted it. 😂

I was eager to add a CV, however, because I felt it would be the strongest part of my application.

Uvic does does a bunch of webinars on their application process every October. I missed them because I submitted my app prior to knowing about this, but I think it is probably worth a watch if you are looking evaluate your application critically to perhaps apply again?.

 

 https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/eventsandwebinars/index.php

 

Sorry it didn't work out for you this time around, btw. 😞

Appreciate the sympathy, but I haven't been rejected (yet). 

 

You're right, I guess I just don't understand why someone would have work experience that is relevant to their app that they didn't include in part a. I am a legal advocate, so I leaned into that in part a. I guess if you have an extensive career outside law it would make sense, but again, I don't see what relevance any number of years of experience in an unrelated industry would be to the admissions team. I could be an amazing accountant, but that bears no weight on my potential as a JD applicant. 

 

Should have posted a resume lol, apparently it could have helped. Thanks guys, appreciate the info 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thewaitismuchtoolong
10 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I literally added bullet points to my CV, pasted the words "Part B" over "curriculum vitae" and submitted it. 😂

I was eager to add a CV, however, because I felt it would be the strongest part of my application.

Uvic does does a bunch of webinars on their application process every October. I missed them because I submitted my app prior to knowing about this, but I think it is probably worth a watch if you are looking evaluate your application critically to perhaps apply again?.

 

 https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/eventsandwebinars/index.php

 

Sorry it didn't work out for you this time around, btw. 😞

I’m just happy that excellent applicants such as yourself and gobigorgohome were successful. I think one thing is clear, that just as the rejection letter said: “Our seats are limited and therefore, only the very top applicants are admitted. Your application, considered as a whole, was not as strong as some of the others received.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Ryn pinned this topic
  • Ryn locked this topic
  • Ryn unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Ryn unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.