Rejected 2022

amw26

Patient0L
  • Law Student
35 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

Appreciate the sympathy, but I haven't been rejected (yet).

Oops!! I should have scrolled up further. This is good news!

35 minutes ago, tdot1967 said:

I’m just happy that excellent applicants such as yourself and gobigorgohome were successful. I think one thing is clear, that just as the rejection letter said: “Our seats are limited and therefore, only the very top applicants are admitted. Your application, considered as a whole, was not as strong as some of the others received.”

Aw! ☺️

Good luck. It’s not over yet.

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, tdot1967 said:

I think one thing is clear, that just as the rejection letter said: Our seats are limited and therefore, only the very top applicants are admitted. Your application, considered as a whole, was not as strong as some of the others received.”

That just made me cringe. Because that is so subjective. I was definitely not one of the top candidates when it came to grades (I applied discretionary). What is considered the top is so subjective, and I hope they word the rejection differently next year. 

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

Thewaitismuchtoolong
1 hour ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

That just made me cringe. Because that is so subjective. I was definitely not one of the top candidates when it came to grades (I applied discretionary). What is considered the top is so subjective, and I hope they word the rejection differently next year. 

You are just being humble gobig. Take the win, haha. You clearly did a fine job on your application and probably possess a wealth of life experience that is indicative of your value and many coming successes in the legal profession. 

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, tdot1967 said:

You are just being humble gobig. Take the win, haha. You clearly did a fine job on your application and probably possess a wealth of life experience that is indicative of your value and many coming successes in the legal profession. 

ECs are amazing. Work experience unique and impactful. Life experience was absolutely insane. Grades and LSAT - below "meh" If they read my LSAT writing (doubt it), well then they might have been impressed because I knocked that one out of the park. 

I will take the win as I got in and "yay me" but feels weird to be referred to as a "top applicant". There has to be better ways to communicate that. Just the statement about rejected applicants' applications, considered as a whole, were not as strong as some of the others received was fine. 

I hope you all get in somewhere or get some useful feedback of what you could do to improve your chances. Of course up your LSAT score, but what else? I really don't know because everyone applying discretionary has a reason to apply discretionary. 

The only feedback I would give - not knowing anything about the admissions process - is do something that means something to you and excel at it. Whether it be in your work, volunteer, advocacy, art, etc. I don't think that it is enough to apply discretionary just because you have a medical/socio-economic/etc. reason that you did not perform as well as desired on the LSAT or your GPA. Literally everyone else in discretionary is applying with the same justification. I would consider what helps you stand out that is not related to your reasons applying for discretionary. How does your experience add to conversations that happen in the law school. 

The webinars on this link are very informative: https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/eventsandwebinars/index.php

(I will admit that I feel like I got in due to an admissions approach that is in line with affirmative action. In the webinar the admissions person talks about wanting students to be representative of Canadian society. So discretionary may be how they do it). 

Edited by GoBigOrGoHome

Legallybrunettewannabe
  • Law School Admit

So did everyone receive an email or how did you know you were rejected? 

Whysolong
  • Applicant

Rejected a little while ago, just posting now. 3.4, 163. General category applicant 

Good luck to those still waiting

• Hugs 2

ZineZ
  • Lawyer

I'm going to ask what we steer this thread back on track. I'm quite troubled by some of what has been asserted above - but for now I'm going to refrain by going into it too much. The only thing that I *will* say as someone who sat on AdComm for a different school in the past - there's a misunderstanding of how diversity related factors are used in admissions and I'd discourage applicants from feeling like they somehow lost out to someone who was less academically gifted/deserving. I can assure you that it is *not* the case. 

Good luck with your applications for next year, friends. I know that this can be a stressful process and time of year. 

EDIT: After a discussion, posts have been hidden. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Ryn pinned this topic
mjslava
  • Applicant

For those of you rejected, did you have “Statement of Marks - GPA Eval” show up on your checklist? 

• 3 weeks later...
intothevoid
  • Applicant

Denied first thing this morning. 

3.0 / 158 lsat, discretionary applicant with medical documentation

Former student athlete with 9 years of full-time work experience post graduation

• Ryn locked this topic
  • Ryn unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Ryn unpinned this topic